Aggressive rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionBunn

Reaction score
Ok so I guess you can say we sort of rescued a bunny last night. This little guy wasn't getting attention after it's caretaker passed away in august. The husband did nothing to interact with him. Just fed him and gave him water. From the looks of his litter pan it wasn't changed much in the past few months. His hutch was super dusty and full of dog hair. I was told he is friendly but I think that was with his caretaker. He lunges at us and boxes at us too. He is neutered. We've been just talking to him and trying to pet him. He's by himself for now. We're going to take it slow in hopes he'll come around again. We gave him hay which I think he ate some of. He's had carrots but I doubt greens. Any tips on getting him use to us? I'll try giving him a treat through the cage and see if he takes it. He's a 3 year old mini lop. Thanks for the help.

Aww, what a cutie! He's had some major life changes, between losing his primary caregiver and now being shuffled to a brand new home away from everything he's ever known. I would take it very slowly with him. Sitting beside his cage and talking to him without pressuring him too much to interact is a great way to start getting him used to you :).

He sure is a cutie I would do exactly as Imbrium has mentioned and take things slowly even rabbits that haven't gone threw what he has can take time to warm up to their new bunny owers and home.

I agree take things slow. Also I saw that the bottom of your cage is plastic (i thought that was what it is, if not ignore this) If it is plastic you should put a grid or piece of fabric down. The slippery plastic is bad for their joints and it can make them more skittish because they don't have good footing. Having good footing, makes the rabbit more confident which can lead to an overall happier, and nicer bun!

I gave him a towel to lay on. His nails needed clipped bad but he's so afraid of us right now I'll wait a week or 2 for that. He's dealing with enough. I know he doesn't like to be picked up which is typical. Hopefully in time he'll be a different bunny.

What a cutie :) I agree that given circumstances is why he's aggressive. Once he's been with you a little bit and settled down and knows he has a good home I'm sure he'll warm up to you. Best of luck with him :)

Latest posts

Back