Aggressive Female to Male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiwbar

Reaction score
We have a 1 1/2 year female with a 5 year male. The male is mellow but the female if accidently let out of her cage like yesterday will immediately ATTACK the male like a missile like yesterday locking onto his side and dropping off only after I shook her off 3 feet in the air(when U have a death grip on a rabbits side it cannot roll it is immobile). They are in separate cages and even when the male goes near the female cage she will try to nip at him.

The female is a loving rabbit otherwise though skitterish.I have pretty much lost hope they will get along any ideas? The female was unique never peed on carpet not much of a chewer of cords, they are both are family members just separate cages.

Someone told me males and females never get along?

We split time out of the cages I made it sound like the female never gets out.

Both fixed. Both from like 4h people at like 8 weeks old or so

It sounds like the female is extremely territorial, I have one just like that lol. Males and females actually get along the best. Are you looking to bond them so they can share the same cage? Or just to get along?

Yes I got them each at 8 weeks. The lil 4h gal we got the female from was right “she is such a cuddler” though her dad said “good luck with her”. I just hope I can some day let em out together and not worry by accident they brawl and hurt each other. The melee is viscous!

Inate behavior when the female is locked on the males mid side the male can’t roll to get up it’s ugly

If she's that vicious, you really need to keep them apart. Then you can decide whether or not to go through an actual, calculated process in order to bond them. There is a process. It isn't just putting them together and hoping for the best. (Rabbits can fight to the death.)

But if she's continued to be allowed to attack him, then any bond attempts are slim at best.

Just to clarify, you got them each when they were young. So I assume that means that you had the boy neutered years ago and then later, after you got the female, you had her spayed. Is that correct?

She may not be on able to bond with another rabbit. Your options are to keep them apart totally (and better yet, out of each other's site and off of each other's exercise areas) OR try to completely bond them. There is no in-between. Choose one or the other.

If you choose to bond, I'd still recommend a total separation for several weeks in hopes that each can "forget" there past tussles.

After that several weeks are up, you'll need to find an area that neither rabbit has ever stepped foot (paw ;) ). That neutral area is where the bonding can begin. Here are some links for bonding.

If they actually do bond, I'd keep them in neutral area for as long as possible. If you intend to bring them back into the area they are currently, then that area will need to be "neutralized" as much as possible. Re-arrange it, wipe things down with vinegar, do whatever you can to make the area seem as unfamiliar as possible -- otherwise that old territorial-ness may veer its ugly head.

I thin we are relagated to the fact the female is a cage bunny the male a house bunny but thanks for all the replys!!!!

Back