Aggression before Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidtravel

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have had my Flemish rabbit now just over 2 weeks. Overall I really like him.

First, he has not been neutered yet. I have 3 vets in my area that handle rabbits but all have said he needs to be 6 months before they will neuter him. He is only 4.5 months old now.

Now, the issue is, as he gets more comfortable with his surroundings, he is getting more and more territorial. This translates into pooping all over his habitat and in front of his habitat's door. He is also starting to pee outside of his litter box in front of his habitats door. Whenever I try to go near his habitat's door, he comes charging out. He has even bit me once. This was not a love nip. This was a bite. I bleed a little. He is definitely getting more aggressive.

Now, to clean up his habitat, I have to lock him in the extended play area so that he does come after me while I am cleaning up the habitat. Likewise, when I clean the play area, I have to lock him in the habitat for the same reason. Once I didn't do that and he attacked the broom and latched on to the bristles and I drug him back and forth a couple of times. He was not going to let go.

He will even jump up on the couch with me and I will sit and pet him for 10-15 minutes and then he will start trying to bite me.

I clean out his habitat and play area every day because he poops all over both a lot so I can't really just leave all of the poop lying around for days on end.

One note, after week 1, he was not peeing anywhere other than his litter box. I recently ran out of bedding and bought bedding that was different than what I was previously using. Previously I was using recycled paper and then I moved to granules because he had been tracking the paper out of his box and I thought the granules would stay in place better. I don't know if there is a correlation between him peeing in front of his door and not in the litter box because I switched out his bedding. When I lock him in his habitat, he does not pee on the floor but in the litter box. I think he is just getting more territorial and peeing to mark his territory.

Any suggestions while I wait for him to get old enough to be neutered would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Not sure what you mean by granules. There are a number of kitty litters that are harmful to rabbits.

Switching litter type can certainly mix things up for a rabbit -- especially a hormonal one. But then again, hormones themselves will mix things up for a rabbit.

Have you tried wood pellets? And is your litter box really large? Wood pellets (different than shavings) do great for odor absorption and tend to not get tracked about. Topped with hay is even better. For a Flemish, I'd go with a cement mixing tub as a litter box. Those are nice and roomy for a Flemish which makes them desire more to use it. (something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

In the meantime, I'm afraid there isn't a whole lot you can do when a rabbit is fully hormonal. Most vets will do a neuter as soon as the plums are visible. Perhaps one of the vets will be willing to move up the time table if he's showing.

Limit his space as much as reasonable to limit how much mess he can make until he's fixed. Cleaning his areas when he is locked away is a good idea to continue. It is really just a matter of waiting it out until he can be fixed.

If you aren't already aware, it can take a number of weeks after surgery before those hormones dissipate and he settles down, so don't expect instant change.

Thanks for the great advice. The tub you suggested will be great when he gets bigger. I bought a very large cat litter box and it is plenty big enough for now but when he gets bigger, it probably will not work. I did go back to the other bedding type (recycled paper) tonight hoping it would help. We shall see.

thanks again.

he also could feel like he has to mark his territory, it could be just a phase but it also could be the change. Rabbits tend to be different for the first few months after you get them because it's new but as they get settled in they might change. I think it's just a phase of getting older, new place/new stuff, and just marking territory. I wish you good luck though!

Back