After bonding - who's cage should be used?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
I want to bond by two bunnies, but was wondering who,s cage they should both live in after they are bonded. Would it be the bunny who is the dominant or the submissive bunny? Is there a difference?

I'd like to combine their cages and I won't have the time to doa thorough cleaning before moving them in together.

Any ideas?

I would use which ever cage is bigger. If they are both the same size, then let them choose. Open both cages while they are out and see if they pick on or the other and if they are both find being in that cage. I would clean the cage before leaving them in it, so that means clean bedding and spray it with vinegar when you clean it out, I would scrub that cage as well.

I have always put Korr's girls into his cage as it is the bigger one. He doesn't seem to mind and the girls' take to it easily.

You could try having them in a pen for a day or so to gauge how they are getting along and this also gives you a chance to clean the cages really well.

Female into males cage, as females are more territorial of their cage. It shouldn't make a massive amount of difference though, disinfect the cage first to neutralise it and shuffle the contents and they will probably treat it as new anyway.

[align=center]I put the more territorial/dominant one in the submissive one's cage. So Sabriel (male) into Solara (female)'s.

But I'll put Solara in Silas's cage sometimes just cause they like interacting. Do I guess it depends on the rabbits.

Ideally, you should set up a new environment and have it thoroughly cleaned before moving them in together. I set up a pen area in a different part of the house so that neither of them would feel possessive. Eventually they moved back to the area that had been owned by one bun, but they spent at least a week in this new neutral space.

If your only choice is to use one cage or the other, I would choose the cage of the submissive bun and clean it very well before moving them in.

Back