advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi all

lucy is ok now after her mishap

when she was at the vets she had some raw veg but she womt eat any for me

i have offered her carrot and apple but she just turns her nose up

any advice would be gratefull

you might try just leaving it out for her.. ihave one bun that wont always eat treats if we are holding it orwatching her.. depends on the treat and her mood though:p you might try different veggies as well.. buns can bepicky!

How old is she again? When my rabbits werebabies, they didn't so much care for fruits or veggies. Also, I don'tthink it's good for babies to have that anyway. Anyway, my rabbits"grew into" liking carrots and apples. Of course, my bunnies arespoiled rotton, they only like baby carrots, not regular carrots.

Hi Addeytrix,

Didn't you say that she's only about 11 or 12 weeks old?

Good for her that she's not eating it. :) It can often cause runny stools for young rabbits.

I'd give her a couple of months before you start offering her that sortof treat. Stick with a good, fresh pellet feed of at least 18% crudefiber, and plenty of hay and she'll have everything she needs. Sugar'svery bad for their digestive system, so I wouldn't push fruit too much.Vegetables seem to be safer, but still and all, if she's happy eatingher pellets and you wish to give her some vegetables, offer them inmoderation at this point so that it doesn't shock her system. (Carrotsare very high in sugar.)

One of the top 4 posts on this forum is a Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care.There is a website that links you to a list of safe and unsafe foodsfor rabbits. You'll also find some other great websites, so perusethrough the list.

-Carolyn

Whilst we are on the topic, I have found when Iam followed to the fridge and constantly nudged SOMEBODY wantsSOMETHING from in there...I wonder whom??

LOL, anyhow-with fresh cleaned spinach-it goes right through Jaden in amatter of minutes as opposed to Jezebel who adores it-anyone else(hopefully we are talking your bun's here *grin*)with odddigestive reactions to some fruit/veggies?

Cher

I am VERY caucious about what I feedBo. There have been studies that indicate high calcium cancause urinary problems in bunnies. Although I give bo somehigher calcium veggies each day, he gets primarily low-calcium.

As far as fruit. I have been told by my vet and researchonline that 1 to 2 tsp of fruit per 6 pounds per day. I usepapaya or pineapple at least 3 times each week (his breakfast) to helphis digestion. I get the papaya dehydrated at the WILD OATSstore.

Bo LOVES cilantro, and romaine lettuce which are both lowcalcium. Parsley actually is higher, as well as kale.......heck, here's a link LOL!

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html

I take the list at the bottom of the page with me each week.Adding 1 new green every three days to make sure of his .... ability tohandle it well......

Bo gets about 3 greens in a salad for dinner.

Yes, he's VERY spoiled...... and it's not really breakfast it'sBREKFUSS, and SALADS are SOW WEDS...... lol. I baby talk him horribly!

Latest posts

Back