Advice please(new bunny owner)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunloves

Reaction score
Hello!!
I'm a new person here. But I am very excited to say I will be getting a new bunny soon!! Therefore, I will need to have some questions answered. In the pictures, you will see a set up of my cage for the pet bunny. Is there anything I am missing? Please let me know. Also you will see a thread of yarn dangling across the cage. Is it safe? I just wanted the bunny to play with it. Please answer my questions. Thank you!! :biggrin2:

IMAG2043.jpg

I don't understand that yarn and what is that... rubber bands? That doesn't look fun or safe at all.
Try toys like hard plastic baby rattles or toilet paper tubes with hay or wiffle balls.
Where is the bowl for pellets? Is that small cardboard box in the litter box for hay? Its likely not big enough and will get nasty quick being cardboard. Many members use a hay rack hung above the litter box, some place hay right in the litter but I think that's kinda yucky. All my rabbits have eaten their hay no issue from a rack and it keeps it way neater and they don't pee all over it.
That hidey house may or may not be safe, if the bunny chews it has to go. Try a cardboard box as a hide?
Not sure how those water things work for bunnys, I think some members have used them before so no comment there, I just know we had a 4gallon one for the dogs/cats and when it bubbled to replenish the dish the cat would try and attack the bubbles and knock the entire jug over and we had water EVERYWHERE!

your stet up is small will your bunny have time to free roam? your blue thing will be chewed and it will be recked. the thing for water might be attacked like mentioned above... my buns attack bubbles haha. what is that cardboard box for? it will go yucky from the pee and poop in the litter box. wheres the bowl for pellets? that yarn thing is very dangerous and bunnies will not like playing with it, try toliet rolls with hay shoved in them or cat toys (balls with bells or something like that) I buy my toys online and from my two local petshops. That towel will have to be washed everyday until your bunny is litter trained and it could take a while. Is your bunny going to be neutered/sprayed? you should get them neutered/sprayed because it is hard to bond with other rabbits or litter train if its not. What is that white thing under the blue thing?

My rabbit took to those types of water dishes great. He loves them, and the one I have has a filter so changing water daily is less of a bother.

Thanks for all of your advice. I guess I will remove the yarn string, and replace the tent with a cardboard one. The cage is pretty small don't worry, I will let the bunny out many hours a day while being supervised in a bunny proofed room. I don't know about the water bottle but I guess it will have to depend on my future bunny. As for the hay rack, I will get a new one then. I guess I should do more research.

Part of the fun of getting a new friend is learning as you go, so don't feel bad, you have great intentions and I'm sure you will figure out the best setup for you. It took me a while to determine what works best for my space and my rabbits. Soon enough you will be an expert :) what do you plan to use for litter?

it does not look big enough IMO

at least add two more NIC or wire grid things to it, I would say. they need movement in their enclosure ( also depends on the size bunny too )

some toy(s) wouldn't hurt enough, as mentioned, just have to shop around and see at what is available ( online or at the retail )

also a food bowl =0)

Hello stevesmum,
I am planning to use yesterday's news original cat litter with no scent. It's paper pelleted based litter.

Maybe add a little toys such as willow balls or visit your pet store and go with the natural toys I would say buy about 5. Thats ut since you're gonna let the bunny out and remove the harmful materials. Have fun with your new bunny and be sure to post pics of the little guy :) Xoxo Chester and Blue

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1436505570.578651.jpg
This is my girls area ^^

She is also given hours out of her pen each day with lots of time, love and attention.
The cage you have there seems very small even if you will give your bun time out of it each day. I suggest like the others have said, that you need to get a house that isn't plastic, it needs to be cardboard and your bun will need plenty of toys! I guess all bunnies are different but my girl wasn't phased on the red hidey house on her pen that's why I could leave it there and trust her not to attack it.

And you know what, you will learn much more as time goes on and you own a bunny :) never feel like you can't ask question! we are all here for the same reasons 🐰

cage size looks fine by me...unless you are getting a giant breed, but for a rabbit up to four lbs that cage will work great. I would change out the fleece and add coroplast to the outside of the cage to help contain litter and fecal matter ... at least until bunny is well litter trained.

For a hay feeder, take one of those wire squares and give it a solid bend so that it is more U-shaped, then hang it to the side above the litter box and that will encourage bunny to use the litter box.

NOT all bunnies have to be neutered, see what your bunnies is like as it matures.

as to the tent house.. it's usefulness depends on the rabbit... many find them too flimsy and use them as whip around toys instead, a wee bunny might love it. :) cardboard boxes (remove the tape) work well as do larger wooden structures (more durable). I would caution against using them until the bunny is litter trained as sometimes they will go..."ooh, nice dark place, I should widdle and poop here" and then you are left with needing to toss it and moving the litter box. :)

You've done good. You shared your excitement over impeding bunny and asked questions. That's an excellent thing to do. :)

make sure you update us with your new and improves cage and some pics of your new bunny :) excited to see what ideas you come up with and what your bun looks like :biggrin:

You definitely want a metal hay rack. You also need to do more research. You will be a happier owner and have a happier bunny if you really know what you are doing

Everyone will have there own ways, tips and tricks for there rabbits. Bascially, rabbits like to chew and cardboard / plywood (pet how houses) add safe chewable materials and hide aways.

I use a cat litter tray, news paper on the bottom with hay one end. They poop where they tend to eat and will choose a corner for pee pee. This keeps mess to one area (mostly).

Toys,... again keep to basics. Plenty of ideas on YouTube and on here, just go and see what is out there. Rabbits are unique and will go for differernt things. Maybe try carboard tubes etc. Anything that will keep them from tearing down your wall paper, chewing your carpets or wood corner flooring. ><

Welcome to bunny world, your life will change from this day onwards.

Hello!!
I'm a new person here. But I am very excited to say I will be getting a new bunny soon!! Therefore, I will need to have some questions answered. In the pictures, you will see a set up of my cage for the pet bunny. Is there anything I am missing? Please let me know. Also you will see a thread of yarn dangling across the cage. Is it safe? I just wanted the bunny to play with it. Please answer my questions. Thank you!! :biggrin2:

I made a video about getting a rabbit. Here it is: Rabbit Advice: 5 Things To Think About Getting a …: https://youtu.be/QWwtahfegj

Hope this helps :)

Back