Advice on how to clean a bunnies cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph16

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to sell my bunnies cage cause I can't move with it. So I tried to clean it with bleach and water and soaked it for about 2 hours and scrubbed it and it still isn't completely clean.

So how do you clean your bunnies cage?

I assume it's a plastic bottomed cage? If so, pour some white vinegarinto the bottom of the cage (just enough to cover the bottom)and let it sit for an hour or so, then come back with a stiff bristle brush and give it a scrub. The caked on urine should come off without too much difficulty.

Hope that helps!

Rue

If it's wood, you won't ever get it completely clean. Bleach or vinegar about the best options for neutralizing/removing the calcium stains. Just make sure to rinse thoroughly with clean water, especially if you're using bleach, as you don't want that to stay in the wood.

Don't expect to be able to make any cage look like it's brand new.

An all-wire cage can be cleaned very well with a propane torch. But, if you don't have one, then try soaking any calcium deposits in CLR, and then scrub well with a wire-bristle brush.

Usually as long as the cage is mostly clean, using bleach or other disinfectant, rinsed thoroughly and given a little time, it'll be safe for the next bunny.

Back