Advice on how to best setup this area, please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
We just had this bunny room built and I’m looking for advice on how to best set it up… Since it has two levels, do I need to put a litter box (and food/water) on each level (or is the room small enough that one big litter box on the main bottom level enough)? The room is 10.5 feet long by 5 feet wide.
Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 61B70716-CD3D-4D66-958F-CB6AC1FC10CD.jpeg
    61B70716-CD3D-4D66-958F-CB6AC1FC10CD.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 7FC80748-0B31-4615-8329-7CB01ECF87F8.jpeg
    7FC80748-0B31-4615-8329-7CB01ECF87F8.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 20
They should only need one litter box (perhaps in the back bottom corner -- they tend to like a more secluded spot).

A water bowl also should only need one (but you can have more if you like).

Food (the pellets) for adult rabbits is often just consumed in a few minutes -- whether you feed once or twice per day is up to you. Rabbits like routine, so be consistent if possible with that choice. I only put the food bowl down when it was feeding time.

Hay, on the other hand, should always be available. My rabbits got all their hay in the litter box (refreshed a couple times per day). But hay can be offered in multiple locations if you'd like to. It can also be offered in just one location in the room.

If your bunnies don’t like the ramp, maybe you could make a two or three step staircase instead. Just in case the ramp doesn’t work out.

The first rabbit I had, didn’t mind using a ramp for his two story cage and scampered up and down fine. With my second (and current bun) he can’t stand ramps and refuses to even try them. But if we assemble boxes or something like a staircase, he tries to go as high as possible.

You can usually get away with one litter box on the lower level, but some rabbits may need a second one on the upper level. If you get any pee accidents up there, you'll know. You may be able to decide where you want the litter box(es), or your rabbit(s) may dictate where they want them, by consistently peeing in one particular area outside the box.

If you haven't already, make sure to cover the wood flooring with a waterproof barrier like a cut of textured vinyl . I would also extend it up the sides several inches, to protect the wall. Silicone caulk any seams and cover any exposed edges so they don't get chewed. This will protect those surfaces in case your rabbit(s) have litter training issues.

If you don't want the wood chewed on, you may need to protect that as well, with corner protection. And I would suggest either changing the ramp to a step up, or tacking some low pile carpet to the ramp to give better traction.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bunny-proofing
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/setting-up-a-cage.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Housing

You can usually get away with one litter box on the lower level, but some rabbits may need a second one on the upper level. If you get any pee accidents up there, you'll know. You may be able to decide where you want the litter box(es), or your rabbit(s) may dictate where they want them, by consistently peeing in one particular area outside the box.

If you haven't already, make sure to cover the wood flooring with a waterproof barrier like a cut of textured vinyl . I would also extend it up the sides several inches, to protect the wall. Slicone caulk any seams and cover any exposed edges so they don't get chewed. This will protect those surfaces in case your rabbit(s) have litter training issues.

If you don't want the wood chewed on, you may need to protect that as well, with corner protection. And I would suggest either changing the ramp to a step up, or tacking some low pile carpet to the ramp to give better traction.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bunny-proofing
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/setting-up-a-cage.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Housing
Thanks for all the info!! Do you think I just need the vinyl flooring down until they’re litter trained, or would you suggest the water-proof floor covering over the wood anyway? (My bunnies do pretty well with their litter box now in their pen (but definitely have some urine spray around); but I’m hoping once they’re fixed (July 1st) they’ll be able to be completely litter trained 🤞)

I guess you could wait and see if anything happens, then cover the flooring if you end up needing to. Even just a layer of paint will protect the wood from urine soaking in, though not as well as vinyl, and could get chewed a bit by your rabbits.

Very cool!
This is very similar to my setup. I would put water up and down you can never have too much water!
As mentioned above I would highly recommend covering the wood so it doesn't get peed on. Once the pee gets into the wood it just gets associated with a litter pan (I learned this the hard way!) A Cheaper method to pee-proof the balcony is you can tape or staple the plastic to the wood covering also covering gaps so nothing can sneak through. Then put a runner rug, or whatever material you plan for them to on, on top of the plastic this way you can wash the material if need be and clean the balcony with soap and water regularly without worrying about the wood getting damaged.
Ramps Work great and so do stairs but I would say your ramp is a bit too steep. You could either convert it to stairs, Build a new longer ramp OR you can put footies on the base of the ramp to raise it so the angle isn't so steep (I would also recommend lining the ramp with carpet on old towels and attaching them firmly for traction)
Super cute I cant wait to see the final results :D

Hello,
We just had this bunny room built and I’m looking for advice on how to best set it up… Since it has two levels, do I need to put a litter box (and food/water) on each level (or is the room small enough that one big litter box on the main bottom level enough)? The room is 10.5 feet long by 5 feet wide.
Thanks for any advice!
How many buns do you have?

Very cool!
This is very similar to my setup. I would put water up and down you can never have too much water!
As mentioned above I would highly recommend covering the wood so it doesn't get peed on. Once the pee gets into the wood it just gets associated with a litter pan (I learned this the hard way!) A Cheaper method to pee-proof the balcony is you can tape or staple the plastic to the wood covering also covering gaps so nothing can sneak through. Then put a runner rug, or whatever material you plan for them to on, on top of the plastic this way you can wash the material if need be and clean the balcony with soap and water regularly without worrying about the wood getting damaged.
Ramps Work great and so do stairs but I would say your ramp is a bit too steep. You could either convert it to stairs, Build a new longer ramp OR you can put footies on the base of the ramp to raise it so the angle isn't so steep (I would also recommend lining the ramp with carpet on old towels and attaching them firmly for traction)
Super cute I cant wait to see the final results :D
Great - thanks for all the input and great ideas! I’ll post pics when it’s finished :)

Back