Advice on English Lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-Family-O

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to either get a baby OR a teenage English Lop. I'm kinda on the fence about the pros and cons.
If I get the baby, then we can have a lot of time to bond, and get to know each other (something I have done with my others, but not by raising them). But then I will have to pay for the spay/neuter.

If I get the teenager then he is neutered already and already has a set attitude (hehehehe).

I'd really like to get 2 English Lops... But I'm not sure exactly what to do.

Also, what are some important questions to ask a breeder that I'm thinking about buying from? She seems really nice.

Thank you!!! ANY advice is welcomed!!

Dealing with my EL now, I wished I bought an older baby who was nueterd..I think that is the way to go so no surprises happen!

Myia09 wrote:
Dealing with my EL now, I wished I bought an older baby who was nueterd..I think that is the way to go so no surprises happen!
True...

is it true that babies can be worse than an older bun? I haven't had to ever experience it, so I have no idea! All my babies are adopted older buns.

From my experience of owning English Lops, they are very much like a puppy or a two-year old child! Lol.

The babies are going to very curious, and yeah, they will be worse than adults, especially non-neutered/spayed adults. The teenagers are going to be trouble, haha, and they will be curious just like the babies.
But the pro about getting a teenager bun, is that they're closer to spaying age, so you don't have to do deal with their curiosity for a long time. ;)

English Lops really are a great breed. I loved the two I had and wished I'd kept them! lol.

Emily

I am not sure about the breed per say. But adopting a older bun that was already neutered and now getting a teenager Holland lop. I would go for the older the better. Jassi is a 7 month old female and she will get spayed on April 9th. And let me tell you I can't wait for that day.

Cause it only mean one to two months after her spay the spraying and smelliness will go away.

I think her baby antic may last a little longer not sure. But boy this was my first time in about two year to have a unfixed bun. They do smell somewhat more then a neutered bun.

I can say when I did have the unfixed male before I had a lot more pets. So I may have not even noticed the smell then. Because I don't remember it. Like with her Jessi. Also it may be different between male and female. My last un fixed bun was a male Jessi is Female.

Hope this helps you
Kat

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
From my experience of owning English Lops, they are very much like a puppy or a two-year old child! Lol.

The babies are going to very curious, and yeah, they will be worse than adults, especially non-neutered/spayed adults. The teenagers are going to be trouble, haha, and they will be curious just like the babies.
But the pro about getting a teenager bun, is that they're closer to spaying age, so you don't have to do deal with their curiosity for a long time. ;)

English Lops really are a great breed. I loved the two I had and wished I'd kept them! lol.

Emily
LOL.

Everyone that has a Lop on here (especially Myia09's Lop) has really made me go research them, and I really love their little attitudes and personalities. Of course, I'm saying this now, hahahahaha. J/K, I love all my buns. Reeses is in this aggressive stage right now and making me totally crazy HA!

I would personally get a younger rabbit... I've been talking to a few Elop breeders and they ALL have said if they aren't handled enough from birth/from well tempered parents, they're monsters. I believe that, I've had one sweet, adoring, puppy dog EL, and one from the pits of hell itself, even MONTHS after altering.

That is like the opposite from what most people say but with the Elops at least around here, that's what I would do. I'm sure they vary from region to region, in gene pools and such. And of course just because you get a sweet baby doesn't mean you're going to get a sweet adult in the end...

SunnyCait wrote:
I would personally get a younger rabbit... I've been talking to a few Elop breeders and they ALL have said if they aren't handled enough from birth/from well tempered parents, they're monsters. I believe that, I've had one sweet, adoring, puppy dog EL, and one from the pits of hell itself, even MONTHS after altering.

That is like the opposite from what most people say but with the Elops at least around here, that's what I would do. I'm sure they vary from region to region, in gene pools and such. And of course just because you get a sweet baby doesn't mean you're going to get a sweet adult in the end...
:yeahthat:

I feel like if you're willing to be committed to the rabbit through those tough times - then getting them young and helping them bond to you is a better thing.

However - that is just my opinion...

You said the older one is already neutered? I would absolutely go for that. You will likely be able to tell his personality right now and you will know for sure what he is like. The baby can really grow up into anything, no matter how good of a job you do raising it. And neuters are expensive!

Personally, I would go for the already neutered one.

That being said, I have never had an e-lop. But in general baby animals make me nervous. You really just don't know how they are going to grow up. You can put in all that time in trying to help the rabbit be its sweetest and its best, but when it goes through puberty it might just decide that it really doesn't like people that much.

Maybe that doesn't really happen that often. I'm just saying. I would really take the time to meet the older rabbit and see how you guys click. If its great already they most likely it will stay that way. So no surprises there.

as soon as I can, I will post a better reply, but for now I just want to say thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts and opinions! They are really helpful

Latest posts

Back