Advice Needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky214

Reaction score
I am getting a new bunny soon, but before I bring him home I wanted some advice on a few concerns of mine. A bit of information for you - I have (1) one and half year old netherland dwarf - not sure if it's a boy or girl and don't care. Sweet disposition. I plan on getting a holland lop as a 1 year old or younger.
1) Can I keep a new rabbit in a used (but clean) cage??
2) Although I plan on keeping both rabbits separated forever, is it OK for them to play in the same playroom at different times? Both rabbits not spayed/neutered as of this point.
Thanks!! :)

A used cage is fine. You may want to disinfect it. I would recommend using white vinegar to clean it to get rid of the smells of the previous rabbit.
Using the same play room is fine as well. It is best to clean it between rabbits. Some rabbits will not use the litter box in a play area if another rabbits uses the area as well, so be prepared for lots of cleaning up.

Thank you so much for your advice. My current rabbit is litter box trained but it remains in his personal cage which I leave the door open to and he goes in and out as he pleases. I am anticipating lots of clean up with my new rabbit. Thanks a lot for your input! I LOVE HOW FAST YOU RESPONDED! Thanks again.

It sounds good. I'm curious though how it is that you don't know the gender of your current rabbit. Hasn't he/she been to a vet yet, if you can't tell yourself.

:yeahthat: And if they aren't neutered you can expect a lot of marking behavior. If the bunny you now have doesn't spray, it's probably a female. An intact male that doesn't spray is about as rare as a unicorn.

my husband took the rabbit when he first got him. the vet said we don't need to bring it in unless it gets sick or something..or if the behavior changed or something. so far there have been no issues. he trained himself almost instantly to use the litter box and never not once has ever tried to bite or scratch anyone. no spraying that i can recall. a few years old an no aggressive behavior yet!

But if you let them play, and rabbits do hump one another, wouldn't you be afraid of babies if both are not spayed/neutered? And having a doe that is 1-1/2 years old and never pregnant can be detrimental to her health. Does need to be bred before their first year. If not, she could have problems delivering her kits.

Just something to think about. If he/she were mine, I'd take them to the Vet and have him/her tell me exactly what my bunny is before bringing home another. But that's just me.

Regarding a used crate, I've used one for Neville. Washed it down, disinfected it, and he had no problems. The same crate will be used for Luna. Smaller than their real crates but I wanted them to get used to the place here before shoving Neville or Luna into a bigger crate.

Wishing you luck.

K :)

i totally get what you're saying and i do give it a lot of thought. i wont ever allow the bunny to mate as I dont want anymore baby bunnies to born that arent wanted. Theres really no possible way that'd happen. If i were ever to try and bond them i would of course have them spayed/neutered. i am bringing her to the vet soon just because i want to discuss the option of fixing the rabbit - so i guess we will see where this leads! thank you :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back