Advice from a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DandsRulesOK

Reaction score
My lionhead rabbit Dandelion (Dands) died three months ago of a tooth abscess aged 2 and a half years. This is going to sound far-out to a lot of people but today I had an appointment with an animal telepath who communicated with his soul, having convinced me of her veracity by telling me how Dands died, what his previous owner used to call him (in my hearing) and even telling me through him what side of the bed I sleep on. I'd expected Dands to have only sweet things to say to me but in fact he was harsh and critical of me and his previous keeper and had many words of advice that he wanted me to pass on to other rabbit-keepers, hence this post.

I should let you know that he first started getting sick, initially with G.I stasis, the day after a possibility arose that I might move to the states. I'd been worried because I didn't want to rehome him but didn't see how I could take him with me and I remember that the next day when I saw that he'd stopped eating I wondered if he'd read my mind. I'd had a sense a few months earlier, relaxing with him on my bed one afternoon, that he was very sad and forlorn and that it had to do with being moved around a few times in his young life and that he felt like a little ship being flung about on a stormy sea and I made a promise to him then in my mind that that would never happen to him again, a promise that I was now considering breaking.

This is what the animal communicator relayed to me: 'I felt like a parcel being moved about. I died because I didn't want to be farmed out. I stopped my heart. I'm better here in Heaven. I can make my own decisions.'

A note on how he died: he was put down with an anaesthetic but the phrase 'I stopped my heart' sounds apt when I remember how he was the days before he died. It was as if he'd given up and his heart literally wasn't in being alive anymore.

He also said, 'I'm tired of the human race.' To me personally - and probably to his previous keeper too - he said, 'I read you, I knew your insecurities. I was sensitive to you, you were only sensitive to me when it suited you. This is a hard truth.

'Rabbits - me - are not disposable commodities. I wanted you to love me forever. I wanted us to grow old together.'

When asked for his advice about keeping rabbits he said, 'Yes, capital! Listen to them. Give them your time not your money. We do care about Love and Companionship (capitalised to the communicator). We need to be with our own kind to feel good about ourselves. Never one on their own again.'

Of our relationship he said that he'd felt particularly close to me on the bed (where I used to massage him and take naps next to him and where, interestingly, I felt his sadness about having been shunted around so much). 'We had moments of deep, heartfelt connection but these were rare. I could have taught you so much but I needed more of your time and patience. Will you be patient with your new rabbit?'

On his life's purpose: 'My life's purpose was to have a happy life. This was not so. I felt misunderstood. I will come back and try again. You tried to make me happy but I wanted more of your time. This was what was most important to me.'

I asked how humans might learn to communicate with rabbits. He emphasized that I (in particular) needed to trust not just my ability to receive thoughts but that animals are sending them in the first place. 'Trust that animals are expressing something to you. Rely on feelings. As rabbits we are very sensitive creatures. Connect with that sensitivity in a positive way. Believe what you're feeling.'

I asked him if he'd missed his previous owner (I felt that he had). He said no, he'd felt disappointed and 'betrayed' because she gave him up. When I asked the communicator to tell him that she'd had to give him up because her new landlord wouldn't let her keep him he said, 'If she'd loved me she'd have found somewhere else to live.'

I'd sensed some friction between him and my new boyfriend and asked him what he thought of him. The communicator said that he sent her an image of me on the right side of the bed without my boyfriend in it and that he was trying to blank my boyfriend out. She said that Dands seemed as if he'd been jealous and upset about the demands my new boyfriend made on my time. 'He's not good enough,' was his verdict on him. Also, 'You will be disappointed.'

On being neutered: 'I was horrified.'

On neutering a female rabbit who will otherwise get pregnant or contract uterine cancer, 'Ask her.'

I apologized for having let him down and the conversation finished on a gentler note: 'I do love you. I always have.' (?)

I hope that people will find this post interesting and bear in mind Dands' advice if applicable. I was left with a sense that Dands, and probably a lot of rabbits, need more time, respect, commitment and real love from their keepers than they often get.

I found the post interesting to say the least and I would try to entertain it but this is not the place to get into super natural / spiritual conversations.

I think if rabbits could talk they would ask for infinite yum food and lots of room to run :)

I found the post very interesting! Thank you for the post.

I believe that is what rabbits would say if they could talk, because rabbits do need time and patience. They also need a lot of love and unfortunately, there are people out there that don't.

Sounds like good advice!

I had an animal communicator talk to my pets before. She was just starting out so was offering free readings, and had never done one with rabbits before. Some of what she said was accurate, but not all of it. It was a very interesting experience though, and I think I'd probably do it again someday.

Makes me wonder what my Ellie would say to me.... :tears2: I tried to love her with all of my heart, but I feel like I let her down.

Rest in Peace my sweet heart-bunny.

myheart

Interesting post. I thought about this for awhile. Here is something to think about:

If rabbits (animals) are really that aware and rational, then do they bear at least some of the responsibility for their well being?

For example: My Hershey has his own room downstairs where he stays when we are at work. When I come home, I get him and bring him upstairs where he stays until the morning. Sometimes, when I come to get him, it's clear he doesn't want to be taken. Sometimes he will come near me, but not let me pick him up. Sometime he won't let me anywhere near me. I will try again several times a night. Occasionally he never makes it upstairs.

Now if loneliness and wanting more time w/ their human is big issue with rabbits, why won't Hershey come upstairs? Is he making aconscience decision to stay downstairs? If so, then he is responsible for the loneliness, if any, that he feels.

Did that make any sense?

maybe hershey doesnt like the "picking up" part of this journey...i can guarantee he would love nothing more then to be with you.

hmm...i know my fallow would love more attention,...whih i do feel enormously bad about. he was so used to sleeping at my feet in bed and having his bond mate, sleeping by my feet or playing with toys when i was wathing tv. he prob enjoyed that. i figured he was sad beause he lost his wifey. but maybe he misses me being with him 24/7....

but then there is sebi...who i honestly think doesnt enjoy attention from me, but when i pick him up he never tries to jump away.

and i know sam craves it. he gets these basset hound puppy eyes when i wake up in the morning...i think its for food though ha.

i too wonder what some of my pets would say, and i cant beleive they all make it up. there are people on this earth with special gifts you just have to seperate fraud from reality

If they can make these decisions I am sure that not all rabbits feel the same way about there owners. Some might now like people or be fearful of them, others could just completly want there owners all the time.

...And he doesn't want to be neutered, but wants a rabbit friend!

I'm not saying communicating w/ animals is a total fake. I'm saying that the implication of their awareness and rationality make me not understand rabbit awareness and decision making. And makes me wonder how much of their well being is their own responsibility?

it makes me feel upset, especially lately, since i got my new job and i'm gone from when i wake up to about 9 pm for now. not to mention i caught the flu the day before i started my weekend off and i dont want to accidentally give Dante some sort of illness. i miss spending the day with Dante. my boyfriend feeds him while i'm gone, but doesn't really pay attention to him. i've told him time and time again to at least bring him upstairs where i know hannah does tend to play with him at times through the day, but he doesn't listen cause he's still half asleep when i say it. then i bring him up before going to work, pet him for 20 minutes or so, then put him in the upstairs pen (so he can see the sun instead of being stuck in the basement all day) and i will come home to find Dante down stairs again. he insists dante was never up here when he gets up, but its kinda hard to lie to someone who knows they did something...

I realize that the original post may sound way out there to many people - but I have used an animal communicator before. Not all are legit - I am convinced that the one I used was. For instance - she was able to describe to me the blanket that I used to hold Puck in one time when we almost lost him (he pulled through because Art held him for several hours and gave Puck the strength to go on - and we had him for several more months).

I wouldn't have considered using an animal communicator early on with my rabbits - but when GingerSpice was dying (she was laying in my arms as I napped because I knew we were going to use her) - I had a dream where she was talking to me in a sing-song voice I used to use to describe her - and when I looked at her - I saw it was her talking (she'd been behind my back) and I went to Art and said, "Look Art - she's self-aware" and she said "Of course I'm self-aware mommy...I'm a BUNNY!"

Then she passed away - yet I felt her spirit in the room for a bit - and then out by the computer desk where her two best playmates - Miss Bea and Tiny - went and sat and stared up at her normal place on my desk during my computer time. She stayed there for about 10 minutes or so - and left.

I will say that I believe that animals can try to communicate with us. I have certain rabbits that I am closer to - and there are times when I will walk through the rabbitry to let the dogs out and I can "feel" them trying to get my attention. Sometimes I almost get a sense of what they're trying to tell me - especially if they're bored or want pets, etc.

What amazes me is the range of emotions they have and how different they can be. For instance - my first flemish giant - Tiny - did not resent me having so many bunnies and he said I had a heart-full of love for them all.

Zeus, my current bedroom bunny - resents any other rabbits and gets jealous and has sorta broken off our relationship and won't come up on the bed anymore because he is so upset that I have other rabbits even though they aren't in the room. He knows I spend time with them (I'm sure he can smell them on me).

Thanks to the original poster for sharing what your rabbit said. I just found this thread but have really enjoyed the responses.

By the way - just for those who are curious - my animal communicator was able to tell me things about the rabbits that I had not posted anywhere or told anyone. For instance - when my two girls were at Alicia's - it was the animal communicator who pointed out a toy that Harmony liked - a toy I didn't even know Harmony had access to - but Alicia knew it.

golfdiva wrote:
Interesting post. I thought about this for awhile. Here is something to think about:

If rabbits (animals) are really that aware and rational, then do they bear at least some of the responsibility for their well being?

For example: My Hershey has his own room downstairs where he stays when we are at work. When I come home, I get him and bring him upstairs where he stays until the morning. Sometimes, when I come to get him, it's clear he doesn't want to be taken. Sometimes he will come near me, but not let me pick him up. Sometime he won't let me anywhere near me. I will try again several times a night. Occasionally he never makes it upstairs.

Now if loneliness and wanting more time w/ their human is big issue with rabbits, why won't Hershey come upstairs? Is he making aconscience decision to stay downstairs? If so, then he is responsible for the loneliness, if any, that he feels.

Did that make any sense?
You make perfect sense.

For instance - there are times when my phone will ring and my caller ID will show it is a friend...but I'm not in the mood to talk - so I let it go to voice mail (mind you - that doesn't happen often).

Then there are times when I'd LOVE to chat- so I pick up!

You make perfect sense.

For instance - there are times when my phone will ring and my caller ID will show it is a friend...but I'm not in the mood to talk - so I let it go to voice mail (mind you - that doesn't happen often).

Then there are times when I'd LOVE to chat- so I pick up!

Yes, exactly! Hershey is *choosing* not to spend time with me! And that's fine, (although sometimes I miss him! lol!) but like JadeIcing said, we have to accept that part of the animals too!

So, Hershey may have complaints about me, but spending time w/ him shouldn't be one of them!

Very interesting post indeed! Makes me want to get a communicator and have him/her talk to Magic, my heart bunny.

I must say, I teared up a couple times:

"'I felt like a parcel being moved about. I died because I didn't want to be farmed out. I stopped my heart. I'm better here in Heaven. I can make my own decisions.'"

and
"I wanted you to love me forever. I wanted us to grow old together"

Awwww.
Emily

It's always interesting to hear of other stories of having a pet psychic read our pets. I had it done twice once when Flash was alive and when he passed and I needed to find out more about my Bentley. They were great and you do learn from it and now Bent and I understand each other and it seemed right after the reading almost like she sent him a message.

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
"'I felt like a parcel being moved about. I died because I didn't want to be farmed out. I stopped my heart. I'm better here in Heaven. I can make my own decisions.'"
As a breeder (in the past) it bothered me to see rabbits move from one breeder to another time and time again. They'd go to one breeder - have a litter - then have a little one kept and get moved on to another breeder.

As I got some rabbits - I noticed that the older ones were less willing to trust me - a bit more defensive of their space, etc.

That was when I decided that for ME personally - I would find a home for a rabbit before adulthood - or I would try to keep it and give it a home. But I didn't want the rabbits (particularly does) being farmed out from one place to another.

With that said - I've had talks with Alicia (JadeIcing) about this because this can happen to shelter/foster rabbits also while they wait for a new home - but they often can adjust to their new home and they do fine.

My problem is - so many breeders just keep passing them along - I never knew where a rabbit would wind up next.

In fact - because of that - I prefer pet/show homes for my bunnies.

Just my .02 ~ probably not worth that much.

Latest posts

Back