Advice for Rehabilitation AFTER EC E. Cuniculi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexandranv

Reaction score
My good boy Steven was diagnosed with EC the vet gave him 14 days of pancure and meloxicam. He got this in February. It did do the trick! He was 100% better. Then 3 months later in May I noticed he was off balanced again. Vet treated with an ear wash and told me to wash his ears every day for 10 days. He did not get better. She gave him an antibiotic 14 days of fenbendazole. He showed some minor improvement but was not 100% back to normal. Took him in again in June and July and was told there was nothing to do.

I have read a lot about bunnies getting relapses of EC. Could this be the case? He is 90% himself. He is unable to go up and down the stairs anymore but is eating, drinking, playing and otherwise fine. The main concerns are he is off balanced on slick surfaces and he has become more aloof less willing to jump up to me on a couch or bed. He has a companion that he snuggles with still, my other bunny.

Should I seek care or can I do anything at home. I would like to see him back to his zoomie self and able to go up and down the stairs as well as easily jump into his dig box and litter box.

I think you should find a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to for a second opinion. The standard treatment for EC is minimum, 28 days on Pancur(fenbendazole). A vet that only does 2 weeks isn't likely to be a very knowledgeable rabbit vet. The new vet should rule out an inner ear infection as a possible cause. But even if it is EC, some sort of treatment should still be tried. A vet shouldn't say there's nothing to be done, because there is always at least something that can be tried, even if it's just finding ways to keep your rabbit as comfortable as possible until the EC gets to the point of causing quality of life issues.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I think you should find a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to for a second opinion. The standard treatment for EC is minimum, 28 days on Pancur(fenbendazole). A vet that only does 2 weeks isn't likely to be a very knowledgeable rabbit vet. The new vet should rule out an inner ear infection as a possible cause. But even if it is EC, some sort of treatment should still be tried. A vet shouldn't say there's nothing to be done, because there is always at least something that can be tried, even if it's just finding ways to keep your rabbit as comfortable as possible until the EC gets to the point of causing quality of life issues.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Thank you! I did take him back to the same bet on Friday and she prescribed 14 days of Pancure- she offered more "depending on clinical presentation after 2 weeks." After 2 weeks I fully intend to email her or call her about his condition. She also gave him Meloxicam incase it is an ear infection. She told me the Meloxicam is for inflammation. I also picked up some Meclizine (over the counter 25mg tablets ) and I gave him half of one tonight- I will see how this affects him before giving him a full tablet. It is an anti-motion sickness medicine.

Latest posts

Back