Advice: Dopey's Stitches Came Out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merf

Reaction score
Dopey was neutered last Wednessday 10/30... supposed to get his stitches out this Saturday 11/8. Well when I got home from work today I discovered a set of his stitches came out. He's not bleeding, there is no "hole", but at the same time it's not completely healed/closed up... it's a little red around the edges, and a little bit of yellow crust is also building up around it. I called the doctor and he said Dopey shoul'd be fine, to really not worry about it, and let Dopey heal. Despite the doctor's call, I'm still worried (I'm a first time "Bunny Mom").

Dopey seems to be fine, he's eating like he normally does, is still jumping around, laying sprawled out like normal, and giving me kisses. He also still has one dosage left of Metacam. How worried should I be? What should I do? Am I over reacting? Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, what did you do? Any advice or comfort anyone can give would greatly be appreciated... Please help me!

I wouldn't be too worried. I had my Toby neutered when he was 6 months old. He did not have ANY stitches for his neuter. He was still a relatively small bun, and they just used a wee bit of medical glue to patch him back up.

The yellow crusties would probably be scabbing of sorts. That's a very good thing. If there's no bleeding or him acting funny (in pain, loud tooth grinding, etc.) I wouldn't be worried. I would just monitor him closely and if nothing out of the ordinary happens, I wouldn't worry about taking him to the vet before Saturday.

Just relax, buns are pretty good about taking care of themselves :) They are pretty good at stressing out their slaves, too! :p

Is that Dopey in your avatar? He is just adorable!

Hi,

I agree with your doctor....don't sweat it...but at the same time I am wondering why there were sutures to begin with. There is no real pressure at the incision site so a bit of surgical glue would have worked (we do not generally allow external sutures at all even for spays). The only reason it's closed at all is to prevent possible infection since a rabbit's posture is like a squat. I have helped fix horses and the incisions are left open. Just take a peek at it for a day or two but it shouldn't be a worry.

Randy

Dopey actually pulled out his other set of stitches last night... that one seems to be more closed that the other one. He seems to be okay though, he's acting like himself... it dosen't seem to be bothering him. But as always, I'm still worried about him. And yes my avatar is Dopey.

If you're truly worried, I've heard of people putting a sock (with the "end" cut-off) around them like a bunny-tube top. It prevents them from nibbling, just make sure that it isn't pulling the incision. You also have to be careful making sure it's not too tight!

... or you could go get one of those "Elizabethan" (lampshade) collars! (just kidding!)
:laugh:
That would be adorable, though :p

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I will try the sock thing... but I have a feeling that he will attempt to pull it off, plus it might be hard to get it on him. We'll see, I'll try it when I get home from work.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about his incision. As long as it's not looking super irritated, it should heal up fine.

If you are worried about cleanliness, you can clean his bits with some betadine several times a day. It will keep the area super clean and it is completely safe if bunny ingests it.

I think a collar or sock would just stress your bunny out more than necessary. Most neuters heal with in a week. I'm sure the stitches where itchy and now that they are out, he won't bother his incisions as much.

--Dawn

I agree that you shouldn't worry too much, the yellow stuff sounds like a scab, My rabbit was just neutured a week ago and has a little of it, the vet just checked him out today and said he was fine.

Latest posts

Back