adopting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wow

Reaction score
I've been considering getting a new bunny and for several reasons I have decided that it would be best for me to adopt a rabbit from a shelter. However, it is very important to me that the new bunny bonds with my current (and only) rabbit, annabelle. I want her to have a new companion just as much as I do.

Here is the question-- is it possible to let the shelter know that this is what I'm looking for and do "bunny trials". Could I take in a rabbit, but if the two don't bond (I know it takes time, but if they STILL don't want anything to do with each other) bring the rabbit back to the shelter and try a new one? Sometimes when I think about this idea it sounds so terrible...exchanging rabbits until I find the perfect match. I don't want to stress the rabbits out, or annoy the people who work at the shelter.

I would love your opinion on this :)

P.S. Annabelle just got spayed on Tuesday, and judging from all the posts lately it seems like there is a wave of alterations occurring!...our bunnies should form a support group :)

I don't really think any shelter will let you do"trial runs", but you can try fostering. You should take Annabelle with you to the shelter and let her pick the rabbit she likes, then if you are confident you can take it home or you can try fostering it.

Its a good sign if they ignore or dont notice each other upon first introduction, or its not usually badif one rabbit gets a little rough... as long as the other doesn't fight back.

Ya, I figured that doing "bunny trials" was kinda a crazy idea, but I just want to make sure she ends up with a companion. I will definitely consider fostering, and I never thought to bring her to the other rabbits, rather than the other way around...its a much better idea. Thanks!

Actually some shelters do! I volunteer ata rabbit rescue and we allow people to bring their bunny in for supervised bunny dates! That way its more likely they will bond. We also allow you to bring the bunny back if things dont work out.

Where are you located if you dont mind me asking? A lot of rabbit rescues do this, not so much with humane societies though..

I am located in Boston, and there are several rabbit rescues, as well as tons of shelters in the area. I will probably give the nearest ones a call sometime next week and see what they say. The thought of another rabbit is so exciting! Thanks Haley

The shelter I volunteer at Animal Friends in Pittsburgh has a policy that if you adopt a rabbit and it does not workout, you lose your adoption fee, but can try a different rabbit without paying again.

Thats great! I would give her another few weeks to heal from her spay and then start looking for an eligible bachelor!Your best bet is to try rabbit rescues (like the HRS etc). I know theres a lot in NY..

Good luck and keep us posted!

PS. You can always check out petfinder.com to do a search for bunnies/rescues by zip code to see if there are any buns who catch your eye.

Latest posts

Back