Adopting another bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
So my mom and I have been discussing the idea of getting Bugs a companion as he seems really depressed lately and I am usually too busy to really give him the attention he needs. I have a few questions though:

I've asked this question multiple times and get different answers every time. How long until Bugs' hormones are completely gone? He is about 3 weeks post neuter and he definitely isn't as territorial.

I have read that you are supposed to put the bunnies together and look for signs of an easy bond. What are these signs?

Can they both be kept in my room in a multi level cage before they're bonded? They wouldn't be able to access each other and they would be switched between levels.

Can you guys share some of your bonding experiences?

Hormones: 4 weeks for girls, 6-8 weeks for boys

Yes to putting them together and looking for signs of an easy bond. Best done if hormones are 100% gone. MUST be done on *neutral* territory. The best sign you can get is actually indifference - kinda chilling near each other, not showing much interest either way. Failing that: minimal humping, humping stops after a reasonable amount of time/before the humpee gets upset, NO biting, NO chase scenes. Eating alongside each other = great sign (and some leafy green veggies are a good way to bond over a healthy snack - I've often saved veggies for bonding sessions).

Yes to the multi-level cage in the same room *unless* bonding goes badly, fights break out and you need to reset things.

During early sessions, I like to sit in an x-pen with the rabbits (off to one side) so I can be right there if things take a turn or someone gets overexcited. If persistent humping is an issue (especially if one rabbit likes to keep humping even after the other is clearly submitting), I sometimes use a spray bottle of water to reboot the naughty rabbit and give them something else to do (ie dry their face). When I was trio bonding, Norman was especially determined and I had to resort to spraying him in the eye before he cared about the water!

Once we're past the initial introductions and things seem to be going pretty well, I'll stay close but not inside the pen, letting the rabbits focus on each other instead of me. When it seems like they're pretty close to bonded, I go for a marathon session - usually a good 6-8 hours in an x-pen together with some sort of human in the room or at least within earshot the whole time. If they pass that test without any fighting, they're ready to move in together (into neutral territory, whether it's a newly rebuilt condo or just one that's been cleaned *really* well and spruced up to seem different).

Just in case it needs saying... be sure the potential bondmate is also fixed.

Rabbit rescues will help walk you through the initial meet. Just let them know that you are looking for a bondmate and they will have you bring yours in for some meets.

Back