Adopting a doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I posted a while ago about my two males fighting and having to separated. Bourbon has a lovely girlfriend Hops who we got from the RSPCA before Covid lockdown. Oreo however missed out and it’s still proving hard to get him a friend. All rescues either don’t have any single does or they aren’t bonding at the mo. I’ve found a spayed doe on freeads. This rabbit is an hour and half drive from me. I will obviously have to bond myself. They are asking for £85 but all good rescues around us charge £50. Should I wait for a rescue doe?

If your bunny boy can wait then sure, take time until the rescues have a doe up for adoption. Can you give them a call or leave them a mail asking if they could notify you if a doe becomes adoptable?

If your bunny boy can wait then sure, take time until the rescues have a doe up for adoption. Can you give them a call or leave them a mail asking if they could notify you if a doe becomes adoptable?
He has been on the waiting list with 4 rescues since February. Called them yesterday and still nothing. He has got quite jumpy since being on his own and seems more nervous around us. Just really want him to have a friend but not sure about getting a rabbit from a selling site?

Go sniff around the internet to see if you can find a breeder that takes good care of the bunnies. That may be cheaper and the owner is 90% sure to honestly tell you about the rabbit-her personality, quirks, general health and other stuff. Sometimes people on internet ads like craigslist or whatever you have there are not honest about such things. Maybe you can take a look at other shelters and HS's near you.

I don't really know about the HS's and shelters all that much because Estonia has such a tiny rabbit community-absolutely no shelter carries rabbits and even if one does happen to have one, we're not driving 200km just to get that bun we may even not like. So we have a local lop breeder that treats their bunnies fairly well and sells them for 20€, another local one nearly same distance away sells pointy eared buns from 12-20€ also fairly well cared for. So in our case getting one from an ethicsl breedet id a better option.

Go sniff around the internet to see if you can find a breeder that takes good care of the bunnies. That may be cheaper and the owner is 90% sure to honestly tell you about the rabbit-her personality, quirks, general health and other stuff. Sometimes people on internet ads like craigslist or whatever you have there are not honest about such things. Maybe you can take a look at other shelters and HS's near you.

I don't really know about the HS's and shelters all that much because Estonia has such a tiny rabbit community-absolutely no shelter carries rabbits and even if one does happen to have one, we're not driving 200km just to get that bun we may even not like. So we have a local lop breeder that treats their bunnies fairly well and sells them for 20€, another local one nearly same distance away sells pointy eared buns from 12-20€ also fairly well cared for. So in our case getting one from an ethicsl breedet id a better option.
Trouble with getting a young doe from a breeder I would have to wait until she is old enough to spay then wait for her to recover before introducing her to Oreo. I would rather get a rescue especially as here they are neutered and vaccinated. The RSPCA even microchipped Hops. She only cost me £50 and is the most lovely little rabbit. We are lucky to have 4 animal rescues within an hours drive just none have any does ready to rehome and haven’t done for sometime.
Wanted to know peoples opinions on rabbits on selling sites? I’m sure some people are genuine but worried about bringing home a rabbit that could make mine ill?

If you're worried about a web seller's spayed bun making yours ill, you can always keep her in a different room to his until she gets checked by the vet. That way might be faster cheaper and safer as well.
Edit: all breeders are different and some have many litters born on different times so you could still possibly get a doe young but still old enough to be spayed right away. Since dad allowed me to get Storm a friend, that's the tactic i'm going with. If any owners online in our county would give away their already spayed bun for a symbolic price then i'd follow your tactics but sadly this is not how our county rolls. But yes situations are all different and it's just my opinion.

Hello, I posted a while ago about my two males fighting and having to separated. Bourbon has a lovely girlfriend Hops who we got from the RSPCA before Covid lockdown. Oreo however missed out and it’s still proving hard to get him a friend. All rescues either don’t have any single does or they aren’t bonding at the mo. I’ve found a spayed doe on freeads. This rabbit is an hour and half drive from me. I will obviously have to bond myself. They are asking for £85 but all good rescues around us charge £50. Should I wait for a rescue doe?
What rescues have you looked at so far? I am also looking for a partner for Bambi and I am not searching in 'dog' rescues like blue cross and RSPCA instead I have found a rabbit and guinea pig shelter nearby, they have lots more buns coming in, and they are still doing bonding!

Latest posts

Back