Adding new pet Flemish Giant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeidiofTulips

Reaction score
We just got a new Flemish Giant buck last night. He seems vey comfortable & happy so far. He'll just be a house rabbit, along with our female Hotot & Netherland Dwarf, so I'm in hopes that over time they will get along. But, for right now, our Hotot is being a terible bully. She always has been a bit bossy, but she's WILD about getting to that poor little bunny. He's starting out in a cage, so is relatively safe, but she goes back & forth beside that cage, bites on it, & sits with her snout through the wires.:shock: She even nipped at his little nose through the cage & drew a little drop of blood. We're watching them closely because I'm sure she could really hurt him.

Would she actually kill him if she got ahold of him?:X

She's been biting us a lot too, and, of course, pooping around the baby bunny's cage. She even wants to be on top of his cage, so we put a blanket on top. I pictured her getting her feet caught when hopping down!

She wasn't nearly this territorial when we brought the Netherland Dwarf home, maybe it's becausethis one'sso young?? (The older two are close in age.)

Our little Netherland Dwarf just goes under the bed to sleep as usual, doesn't pay any attention to the new guy.

Any ideas, suggestions, experience??:?

You're wisdon is very much appreciated!!:big wink:

Thanks much!!

Heidi

Some rabbits are just very territorial about their space and don't like when new bunnies are introduced. It might be made worse because he's not neutered (at least I'm assuming he's not, since you said hew as very young).

When you do start bonding them, make sure you do it in a very neutral space, and I would start out with one-on-one sessions between the new bun and the hotot - get the most difficult bond out of the way first before introducing him to your nethie.

Bunnies are great bluffers, and her behavior now doesn't mean she won't ever bond with him. She just needs time to get used to him and meet with him on neutral territory.

I suppose his cage being in a room where she spends most of her time doesn't help either...we may have to do a little rearranging.

You can move him now, if it will help, but eventually your hotot girl will have to get used to him.

I have a friend with two pairs - the females of the pairs tried to attack each other through their cages and were terrors. One day she decided to start bonding sessions to see if she could get them to at least tolerate being in the same room with each other (still in separate cages). Within a week she was able to move both pairs in together and had a quartet! Not saying it's going to be that easy for you, but it goes to show that some buns who attack through the cage are total bluffers.

Latest posts

Back