Adding additional stories to NIC cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntloser

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to add another floor for my buns to play on. I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions for a safe and sturdy way to add a 2nd and even 3rd floor to an existing NIC cage?

What about the ramps?

Pics are very welcome.

Thanks

You can use additional shelves to create a second level, or part of a level.

Here's a pic that Aurora posted in the first NIC cages thread in Philes. I'll also paste that thread here for you so you can look through it for ideas;).

These are L brackets bought from any hardware store. The instructions are in her post on page 15. I have them in my cage, they are very sturdy!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

You can also use wooden dowels. THis is best if the shelfs go the full length or width of the cage. Get a fairly thick one and get it cut 1-2 inches longer than the shelf. Then zip tie it under the shelf at both ends and when you go from panel to panel. You can use as many dowles as you need to, but I would use at least one for each row of panels. So if you have a 2*2 shelf, use 2 dowels. If it is 2*3, it depends on which way is the least supported.

The brackets would work best for levels that are only one panel as you can't use dowles for that. They would aslo work for the shelves.

Yup! The shelf brackets or wooden dowels are the best way- you just zip tie grids in place (I prefer to use the connectors as well to give the cage more support), zip tie all the grids of the shelf together, and then tie the wooden dowels on tightly underneath. Make sure you zip tie the dowels onto the walls at the cage either end, as well, so it's got something to hold onto!

Here's a pic of my 3-story cage:

1215867692.jpg

Latest posts

Back