Adding a new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooditkar45

Reaction score
I have a neutered male Flemish giant who I've had for well over a year now and was debating on getting him a friend. There is a female lop available who is around 4 months old and hasn't been fixed yet.
Do I need to get her fixed before introducing them? Everything I read says to make sure they are both fixed before introducing...Would it be alright to have her in a pen next to his before she gets fixed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

you need to get her spayed before letting them interact. however as long as they are separated you can keep them in the same area. male and females do pretty well together as long as they are spayed and neutered

Ideally you would want to introduce your current boy to some already fixed females to pre-screen for potential compatibility. If you go ahead and buy this girl before she is fixed, you risk the possibility that they won't bond even after she is fixed.

If you are willing to permanently house them separate if they choose to not bond, then you can go ahead and get her. Not all rabbits get along. I have had a few bonds where the rabbits (both fixed) refused to bond.

The good thing about looking for a bondmate from a rabbit rescue is that they work with you to ensure a bond. So if a potential bondmate goes home with you and just refuses to bond, then the rescue will allow an exchange. It's the only way to be sure to wind up with an actual bond.

Latest posts

Back