Acting very weird.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaitlynG

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We purchased two bunnies from our local grain store back in June. One is Cookie and the other is Daisy. We had been told that the two were girls but had noticed some aggressive behavior and humping going on. We immediately purchased a second cage an separated the two, they are still next two one another, but we were keeping the cage doors open. A couple weeks back we had seen that they were having a visit (daisy was in cookies cage).

Anyways,long story short, Cookie seems to be eating ferociously, becoming a little aggressive when taking food and seems to be a bit bigger than Daisy. (mind you, they are from the same litter).

Does anyone know what this behavior could be caused by?

Hi FreezeNkody,

Does this sound like Cookie may be pregnant? Are there any sure fire signs that a bunny is pregnant?
She is not aggressive towards us. She is giving her usual kisses.

She did eat the back of her litter box, but has a lava block, regular rock, and mineral wheel.

Also, she is eating a lot of hay. We have to refill her supply twice daily, as opposed to Daisy's once ever other day.

They also eat kale, broccoli, collard greens, spinach and different types of lettuce everyday. But still, Cookie is eating more of that too.

Thanks.

Sounds like hormones. Female rabbits can be very territorial. Even siblings can start having issues when they start getting their hormones. Best thing is to get them both fixed before a fight breaks out, but even when spayed there is no guarantee that they will get along, but it gives them the greatest chance of bonding once those hormones are out of the way.

Humping is pretty normal rabbit behavior for both males and females. Hormones play a part, but it is also a way rabbits show dominance. Once rabbits are fixed, they will do it a lot less often because they no longer have the hormones driving the behavior.

With the hay amount, how much a rabbit eats can depend on size, but also an individual rabbits metabolism. Some rabbits just burn more energy and need more food.i

Hi JBun,

We do intend to look more into getting them fixed. The only issue is that, although we were told they were both female, the woman was not 100% sure.

About a month ago we found out that Daisy was a boy. we separated them right away, but as I said, he snuck into her cage 2 weeks ago.

Do you think she could be pregnant?

Hi majorv,

I did some research and you are probably correct. As soon as we realized that they could get from one cage to the other we ceased leaving the doors open. They only got together once. I guess that is all it takes.

Is there anything special that we should be doing for Cookie, aside from supplying her with nesting materials. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Hi FreezeNkody,

Does this sound like Cookie may be pregnant? Are there any sure fire signs that a bunny is pregnant?
She is not aggressive towards us. She is giving her usual kisses.

She did eat the back of her litter box, but has a lava block, regular rock, and mineral wheel.

Also, she is eating a lot of hay. We have to refill her supply twice daily, as opposed to Daisy's once ever other day.

They also eat kale, broccoli, collard greens, spinach and different types of lettuce everyday. But still, Cookie is eating more of that too.

Thanks.

It is possible she's pregnant if she was with the male. Do you know their ages?

Mine eat tons of hay -- I refill it (their body size) two to three times per day.

Rabbits don't need lava blocks, rocks or mineral wheels. The pellets supply the minerals they need.

Hi Blue eyes and Nancy,

I do believe that they are just 5 months...is that too young?

Thanks for the help.

:thumbup

If it's been two weeks since they got together then you'll have to wait another 2 weeks to find out. There's nothing special you need to do beforehand, except to provide a nesting box and extra hay for her to build a nest, on day 28 or so. Normal gestation is day 30-32. Given her age any kits she has may or may not make it. First timers, especially younger ones, don't always do things right the first time.

Latest posts

Back