Acting odd after boarding him

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster2369

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I was concerned about my Buster and can use some advice.
Monday I went on vacation and had no one to leave him with so I boarded him at a exotic vet center for three days.
Yesterday when I brought him home he seemed excited to be home again, sitting in his favorite spots and playing and binkying. He came up on my bed for cuddling time last night. I offered him his favorite food and even some treats.

He hasn't touched them. In fact when I put the plate of pellets down he ran away from them. I wonder if it is because he is traumatized from the vet. Maybe the smell reminds him of that.

The vet said he wasn't eating the first day I brought him in and they had to syringe feed him. They said he really wan't into eating the days he was there. Maybe he was just to upset to eat. They had to move his cage a bunch of times because he seemed very high strung.

The only things he is currently eating right now are a shoe box and some hay nibbles here and there.

He must be hungry by now. So why isn't he eating? Is is on strike, still being upset about me leaving him?

I just listened to his stomach through a stethoscope and heard some gurgling. He was eating some cecotropes last night and had some poo in his litter-box this morning.

How long do you think it will take for his routine to go back to normal? Should I be concerned that he isn't eating his favorite veggies? Should I get him different veggies?

Any advice would be appreciated. He is starting to make me nervous.
Has anyone else had to leave their bun for a few days and came home to different behavior?

-Andria

:bunnyheart:bunnyheart

I'd be a bit worried if he's not eating much. Do you have caned Pumpkin (not the pie filling one). That's really good for their digestive system.

Can you get some different type of hay that may entice him to eat?

When I go away I hire a pet sitter to come in twice a day. I wish I could get someone to move in but that's unfortunately not possible.

If I lived near you I would bunny sit for you.

My bunny sitter is a Vet tech which helps.

I hope he eats soon.

Susan:)

Buster seems to be doing better. He is eating his veggies again and even gobbling up the hay in the hay bags I put on the floor to entice him.

I saw him go over to his water bowl and drink for about 2 minutes also.

Although he has not touched his pellets or treats, I think he'll be OK. I hope he poops later.

Next time I am going to get a pet sitter. Taking him out of his environment really makes him anxious. :)

-Andria
:bunnyheart:bunnyheart

I'm glad he's doing better. It sounds like they didn't take very good care of him & were too quick to force feed him, but it's hard to tell. It's good you weren't away longer, though.

Latest posts

Back