Acting funny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callaway

Reaction score
Hey guys. Callaway has not eaten his pellets last night nor this morning. He did not even touch or nose around his greens. Not sure if he is eating hay. I asked my fiancé to watch him today. He also would not come out of in his house today (we keep him free range in the house during the day). He got up when I approached the cage but didbt go crazy to let him out like he normally does. Once it was open he let me rub his nose but then went back to the corner he was sleeping in when I came out. Is it possible that he is constipated or is there something else I should be looking at? Last time he was constipated he still moved about and ate a little. My fiancé is going to buy papaya today. We have freshly frozen mango and peaches in the freezer. Would this be as good as the papaya or fruits to stay away from?

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Is he pooping at all? How do the poops look? Normal or smaller and dried out? Are they strung together by fur? Likely he could be dealing with some stasis. You can try greens and simethicone but if that doesn't work, I'd see the vet and maybe they can get you some sub-qs, and Reglan or something of the like.

If your rabbit isn't eating and pooping, and it has been more than 12 hours, this may be an emergency situation, and you should get him into a vet immediately. Your bun could have a blockage, and the longer it goes on, the worse the situation could get. Initially when they first stop eating, you can try things like simethicone to see if you can get them eating again, but when it has bee this long that a bun has been without food and possibly water, it very often takes a vets intervention and meds to get the pain under control and their gut moving again. I don't know if papaya does any good, but other sugary fruits shouldn't be given as they can just further disrupt the bacterial balance in the gut, and further complicate the stasis. You could try offering some non cruciferous leafy greens, but if he won't eat anything still, get him to the vet.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Back