Accidental bonding between two of my males?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
I have three male unneutered rabbits kept in three seperate cages. Cooper is 14months, I have him since he was 6months. Marley is 6months and I have him since he was 12weeks, then Dexter is 6months and I have him since Dec 23rd.

Yesterday, Dexter was out for floor time, in my bedroom and after two hours I went to check on him and I opened the door and Cooper was out of his cage too. I was surprised not to see any fur on the ground or cuts on them.. Anyhow I watched them for a bit and saw they were totally fine with eachother, both were hoping around, smelling eachother, playing in tunnels, even both went into the rubbish bag digging in that together.. They even ate together when I gave them some food and everything. No chasing, nomounting, completely fine. Just at times when Cooper would hop over to Dexter he would hop away then other times they were fine. You wouldnt think they just met. I watched them for an hour and then popped them back in there cages.

This wasnt neutral area, both were out here for floor time many the times, and both there cages are on the floor in the room too. They were hopping in and out of Dexters cage but I didnt open Coopers big cage up as he has been in it a while and I thought he would get territorial over it.

Dexter is a very mellow and relaxed and calm rabbit, Cooper wants a friend. He hasnt been around a rabbit (only through the cages to Marley) since he was a baby.

Now a while ago people on here told me to wait and introduce them after hormones are gone after I neutered them. So I was doing that but what should I do now, should I not let them play together on the floor since they were totaly fine or should I wait till there neutered like everyone thought in the first place?

I've had 3 unneutered rabbits before, and I have two right now while I'm saving up the money for the neuter. While I normally agree that unneutered rabbit will fight like mad (like my two boys are now...) I did have a pair that really loved each other. Xenos is pretty mellow around everyone (when the new rabbit tries to fight with him through the cage, Xenos just looks confused, doesn't fight back). Patrick was an old bun when I got him (about 13yrs). Like yours, I had one out for run time, and somehow the other slipped his cage. When I found them running around together, they were fine. My boys would sleep together, groom each other, everything a bonded pair is said to do, even though both of them were intact.

I would say that so long as their play is supervised, you could let them have fun together. I eventually trusted mine together unsupervised, and there was never a problem, but since yours will be getting neutered soon, I don't see the point in taking that risk.

I would let them be together while supervised - as long as they are getting along and not fighting there's no reason they can't have playtime like you would do any bonding session. I would personally be afraid to leave them alone together at this point since it's a new bond, but hopefully you will get them neutered soon and then they can move in with one another.

Yes, I may do that, I wont leave them unsupervised together.. Id be too frightened LOL..
I was hoping to neuter them next week but think I need to go to the dentist :/
Something always is coming up :p

But will be soon..

Back