Abscess on left cheek

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
5 days ago noticed my bunny had a swollen lump on his cheek:( took him to vet&she said she has to drain it. So she kept him for a couple hours lanced&drained it&left it open to drain more:( she gave him Meloxicam Oral susp 0.5mg/ml and he takes it every 24hrs and also CIPROFLOXACIN 5mg/ml and he takes 0.9 cc every 12 hours. She said to do warm compresses on it 3 or more times daily.2day it looked swollen a little again so I tried to press and I got some more puss 2come out but I've read alot about it last couple of days&everywhere it says they dnt go away:( I'm so sad.I spent alot for him 2go 2 the vet&im scard it won't go away:( I don't wana lose him and i dont hav money to keep taking him,no one will do payment plans for us and i just dont know what to do.any advise will help me please:pray:please:( also I'm prettysure he's a dwarf lionhead bunny and he's about 1 year old.

Luv My Bunnies wrote:
5 days ago noticed my bunny had a swollen lump on his cheek:( took him to vet&she said she has to drain it. So she kept him for a couple hours lanced&drained it&left it open to drain more:( she gave him Meloxicam Oral susp 0.5mg/ml and he takes it every 24hrs and also CIPROFLOXACIN 5mg/ml and he takes 0.9 cc every 12 hours. She said to do warm compresses on it 3 or more times daily.2day it looked swollen a little again so I tried to press and I got some more puss 2come out but I've read alot about it last couple of days&everywhere it says they dnt go away:( I'm so sad.I spent alot for him 2go 2 the vet&im scard it won't go away:( I don't wana lose him and i dont hav money to keep taking him,no one will do payment plans for us and i just dont know what to do.any advise will help me please:pray:please:( also I'm prettysure he's a dwarf lionhead bunny and he's about 1 year old.
Welcome to RO! So sorry to hear your bunny isn't feeling good. Yea, abscesses do happen. Did the Vet tell you what the abscess is from? Teeth problem? Dwarf breeds do have problems with teeth and jaws because of their small breed.

I have never had this problem with my bunnies but wanted to help. I've attached from the RO Library what there about abscesses. On the first post of the thread, towards the bottom you will find RO threads. Maybe reading them, you will find out what others have done for constant abscesses.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hoping your bunny is feeling better soon.

K:)

Thank u:) he seems 2b acting his normal self and earn and drinking peeing&pooping as of now.I'm just really worried 4him. I looks very bad&very painful. Vet said his teeth looked fine. We put 2 of our bunnies 2gether 4 a min few weeks back &they were scratchn at each other so we separated them.she said it provost was from that bcos she had asked me if he couldve got scratched.bu I feel like she should've did more 4him,mayb X-ray&i feel like he should've got meds 4longer,bit idk:(

Luv My Bunnies wrote:
That happened like 3 weeks ago. Wouldnt he have had the abscess sooner?idk how long he's had it actually...I just know when we noticed it.
It tough with bunnies figuring out when they get sick. They are so good at hiding it and you really have to know your bunny to be able to pick it out. It's tough when your bunny's mood doesn't change. And it might take longer to notice something odd like a cheek that swelled. At least as soon as you notice you acted. That's all we can really do.

K:)

Latest posts

Back