About to put my bunnies on Oxbow T

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nora123

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help I am just about to put my bunnies on Oxbow T pellet does anyone know how much to feed a netherland dwarf a holland lop a dutch and an english spot Im not sure how much each should weigh so not sure how much to feed any replies would be much appreciated also if anyone knows what my rabbits should weigh would appreciate that info too.

My dutch uses Oxbow, and honestly I just fill up his bowl and he eats when he's hungry. He's in perfect weight and health. However I now some rabbits just eat constantly because it's delicious! What size is your bowl/can you insert a picture of the bowl? If you are unsure and want an exact amount just make a call to your vet and ask. And Also are you switching from an old food? Or are these all new bunnies, if you are switching from an older food, make sure to slowly introduce the food so their stomachs don't have a bad reaction :(
1. All original food
2. 3/4 original 1/4 oxbow
3. 2/4 original 2/4 oxbow
4. 1/4 original 3/4 oxbow
5. all oxbow

:goodluck:

Is there anyway you can weigh your rabbits? You can stand on a scale without the rabbit get that weight and then stand on the scale with the rabbit and subtract the weight without the rabbit from the weight with the rabbit. Then take the weight and go by this sites guidelines
http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/diet/place-pellets-rabbits-diet
(I'm assuming all rabbits are older than 6 months, if not they should be getting unlimited alfalfa)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Hi yes they are all adults I have their weights but mine look overweight thats why im changing them onto oxbow t off a alfalfa based pellet it would help if i knew what their weights should be will try to look up breeds of rabbits and their ideal weights thanks for your replies.

The best thing you can do is weigh your rabbits. The general rule of thumb is 1 oz per pound of rabbit. With the Holland lop and Dutch I would feed 1/2 cup a day.( 1/4 in the morning and a 1/4 at night) An English spot usually weighs between 5-8 pounds. Usually 6 pounds for bucks and 7 pounds for does. So I would give 3/4 cup to your English Spot if he is closer to 6 pounds if you think he is closer to 8 pounds feed him a 1 cup of food. For your Netherland dwarf they are usually between 2-2.5 pounds. I am going to give you the amount for a 2 pound rabbit. They should get 1/4 cup a day.
You will need to change these amounts according to your rabbit and what else you are feeding them. If you are including veggies in their daily diet than you will need to decrease the amount of pellets. If not than the amounts I gave you should work for your rabbits. (Note: I got the amounts according to the breed standard if your rabbit is a mix and slightly bigger than the breed max weight than I would increase amount of pellets)

Each rabbit is a bit different, so how much you feed can vary and change. Rabbits who are spayed or neutered tend to need fewer pellets than intact rabbits. Really active rabbits may need more. Guidelines are a good start and you can then adjust accordingly.

The general rule for pets is about 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight. So your Netherland should have about 1/8 of a cup, the Holland around 1/4 and the English Spot about 3/8 of a cup. This is a guideline only, so you will need to figure out what works for your rabbits. You can get 1/8 cup measuring cups as most dollar stores, they are usually coffee scoops. 2 tablespoons is equal to 1/8 of a cup, so that is another option. I feed twice a day, so divide the total daily amount into 2 feedings.

Weights vary in each breed. You may just want to get a current weight on your rabbits, then if they are overweight go for a weight slightly under their current weight and feed for that weight, according to the recommended amount on the package, or if they are skinny then get the current weight and increase a little to figure for an ideal weight. Feeding amounts for oxbow adult food is 1/8 cup for 1-3lb, 1/4-1/3 for 4-7lb, 1/3-1/2cup for 8-10lb. Feeding amounts can be so different depending on each rabbits metabolism, so start with the general recommended amount, then you may need to adjust that up or down, as you see how each rabbit maintains it's weight on the food. Netherland dwarfs weight is usually between 2-3 lbs, so 1/8 cup would be a good starting point. Holland lops are around 3-5 lbs, so 1/8 cup if around 3 lb, 1/4 cup if around 5 lb. Dutch are about the same weight as hollands. English spots are about 6-8 lb, so around a 1/3-1/2 cup. So even with recommended amounts it's not always exact. I have a 5lb Holland lop that puts on weight easily and she gets about an 1/8 cup a day. So you just have to find the amount that works for each rabbit.

Thankyou so much for your replies now I know roughly what they should weigh I can use that as a starting point I have obviously been feeding too much pellets as they all weight more than their ideal weights this site is great many thanks. I sometimes seem like a know it all on other medical issues but im absolutely useless with their diets but heres hoping I will get it right.

Latest posts

Back