Abnormal poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeroshero

Reaction score
I noticed over the last 24 hours the size of Zeros waste has changed, the attached photo is recent, I broke the larger pellets open and do not see anything abnormal in them. They are still moist but not mushy or hard, I am really worried about the smaller pellets, this happened last time just before he went into stasis. He is still getting .3ml of Cisapride and .5ml of Simethicone once daily. He is eating free choice timothy hay and one small leaf of cilantro once a day.

Oh, that is a piece of hay that I picked up on accident it isn't mucous or hair.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I would just keep your eyes open for any more changes. Every now and then Bandit has a day where he produces a few smaller poops with the regular sized ones, like Zero's they're always the same texture and consistency as his normal poops, just smaller and he never has any other symptoms with it.

That looks like my megacolon buns fecal poop. It used to be more irregular, like that picture, when I was giving them probiotic gel, but since I stopped giving it, their poop has normalized a bit, and isn't so abnormal looking, though it still doesn't look completely like a normal rabbits poop. I also read a post by someone describing her buns poop looking like that, and it turned out her bun had the start of coccidiosis. So maybe the sugars in his meds could be playing a part, or it could be something else. It might be a good idea to have a fecal test done just to rule out cocci.

I will take a slide in tomorrow, thank you both.

Shoot it just dawned on me the clinic is closed tomorrow, does it have the potential of being a huge emergency if I can't get a fecal until Thursday? I will take him into the emergency clinic for a fecal if I have to.

Last edited:
It's really hard to know with digestive issues. It may be nothing much and he may be fine, but then it might not be. And with him having his ongoing digestive problems, that may make him more prone to something developing quickly. Could you maybe just take a fecal sample in for testing to another vet. Some places will just do a fecal test without having to bring the animal in. You may even be able to get a horse vet to do it.

Zero's poop has returned to its normal size yay! He is a bit gassy all of the sudden, I think nibbling on his litter is contributing to his gas problems. I am going to have to make a grate to keep him off it. It's edible but not tolerated by Mr Sensitive, he is such a sweet boy am I petting his head too much? LOL

image.jpg

Glad to hear things are back to normal.

Looks like he's got a good molt line going there, or that's some serious petting going on :) Can we ever pet them too much?

Latest posts

Back