Abnormal Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L I Z

Reaction score
I am very concerned about the health of my Netherland dwarf. When I opened up her pen this morning, she didn't come out of her tunnel like usual. She remained in one spot and refused to eat or drink. It's been the same all day. Although she has had a bit of water this afternoon, she has yet to eat anything or poop. She just pees in the spot she's in. When she does move, she limps around and can't seem to get into a comfortable sleeping position. She also shakes her head as if her ears itch, but she doesn't try to scratch them.

I called every vet within a two-hour radius of me today, but no one had any availability. I won't be able to get her checked out until tomorrow morning. In the meantime, does anyone know what the problem might be? She's already had the RHDV vaccine, so perhaps it's GI stasis? Also, any suggestions on how to comfort her would be much appreciated. I'm very anxious and could definitely use some support right now.

I'd start by administering semithocone baby gas drops. Then give her 90mins to let it take effect and see if she's willing to drink or eat her favorite foods. A gentle tummy massage if she allows you, will help her pass gas if she has it.

I am very concerned about the health of my Netherland dwarf. When I opened up her pen this morning, she didn't come out of her tunnel like usual. She remained in one spot and refused to eat or drink. It's been the same all day. Although she has had a bit of water this afternoon, she has yet to eat anything or poop. She just pees in the spot she's in. When she does move, she limps around and can't seem to get into a comfortable sleeping position. She also shakes her head as if her ears itch, but she doesn't try to scratch them.

I called every vet within a two-hour radius of me today, but no one had any availability. I won't be able to get her checked out until tomorrow morning. In the meantime, does anyone know what the problem might be? She's already had the RHDV vaccine, so perhaps it's GI stasis? Also, any suggestions on how to comfort her would be much appreciated. I'm very anxious and could definitely use some support right now.
Hi, this sounds like a serious problem, I can't diagnose without seeing her of course but I would take her to a vet immediately.

She doesn't eat, doesn't drink, doesn't poop all day, a bit lethargic and it is about 7 pm where you are, she can't find comfortable position, not moving much. I would say it sounds like gut problems maybe blockage or bloating, both can be fatal so if there's any emergency vet I would probably use them in this case.
It is if I understand correctly she is not stretching out not laying on her side only in meatloaf position, hunched up, pressing her belly to the ground?

What I would do myself I would take her on my lap facing my belly and would place my palms on both sides of her belly and would try gently massage her belly with my fingers so I could feel if her belly is soft or I can feel any blockages, they can be massive, just like big stones in her belly. Or bloats. If there are blockages you can massage them gently and after 10-30 mins you may feel her stomach becomes softer. I would also give her baby gas drops or fennel tea before or after massage and will massage every hour or two. If there's bloat it's different, I don't want to suggest it would be best to bring her to a vet asap because it is very serious condition and can be fatal, and she is in pain. It is very painful.

You can ring vets again telling them she's lethargic and has bloat or blockages (depending what you find massaging her stomach), and tell them it's an emergency and it is more than 12 hours so it can't wait until morning.

If she has been and continues to shake her head as if from some sort of irritation, I would be inclined to think she could possibly be in pain from an ear problem. The most likely I can think of to cause the signs you're describing of head shaking, lack of appetite, lethargy, and the limping maybe possibly being unsteadiness and loss of balance, would point to a possible inner/middle ear infection, with GI stasis just being a further complication brought on from the pain. So I would want my vet investigating that very thoroughly.

Medirabbit: rabbit ear infections

If the head shaking doesn't really seem to be a symptom of a problem to you but just something normal she is doing, and the limping seems to possibly actually be a leg injury, then that could be the primary cause of what's going on.

So I would just make sure you have a detailed list of all of the possible signs/symptoms you think you are seeing, and discuss them all with the vet tomorrow so nothing is overlooked. Minimal that should be done is take home GI motility meds, take home pain meds(usually meloxicam), sub q fluids if your bun is dehydrated, and syringe feeding mix to start regular syringe feeds at home. If it is an ear infection there will also be the take home rabbit safe antibiotics.

I sincerely apologize for the late response. So much has come up in the past week.

Thank you all for your wise advice. The morning after I wrote this post, my rabbit miraculously improved. She resumed drinking water, eating, defecating, and hopping around. Aside from a bit of diarrhea for a day, she made a full recovery. However, I noticed the same preliminary symptoms coming back on Friday and took her to the vet immediately. The x-ray revealed a minor blockage, liked due to ingesting fur. She is currently taking a handful of medications to mediate the issue.

That said, I had hoped the symptoms would disappear overnight with the meds, but I'm finding this to be a more gradual process. How long does it usually take for GI stasis to be resolved?

It depends on how much the blockage slows down her gut. If it really is minor, she may be back to herself in a day or two as the blockage gets passed. One thing that can help is if your bun is eating a lot of hay. Which I would ensure by not feeding high starch/sugary foods/treats, and maybe even decreasing pellets some, provided bun is actually eating the hay really well. You don't want to decrease pellets if bun then doesn't eat more hay.

The key to the blockage getting passed is lots of indigestible fiber from hay. So if your bun continues to eat her hay really well, she should get back to normal in a day or two. If she stops or decreases eating, or her condition deteriorates, I would call the vet immediately.

Glad to hear she's better, can you post some pics of her poos here? If the problem's returning periodically every couple weeks it can also be pin worms causing the blockages, or can be some other problems, I understand that for now you are happy that the problem is gone for now but I would watch her and would try to find out what really happened what caused it.

Back