Abcess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave talked to the doc today.He told us to just keep the wound open for a week in case it needed to be drained again. Given the *small* size of the abcess (like a large-ish grape), he probably will not do antibiotics unless it continues to fill back up. Mr. Thumper is still a young bun (about 9 months), after all. If his own immune system can take care of it, that would be best. If it can't, then we will step in with meds.

Thanks for your well wishes everyone!

Thumper has been a brave boy. He didn't like Doc looking at his ouchie, but he did pretty good for Dave and me. Dave rolled him onto his side so I could look at the bump...that was a risk, since it was a centimeter from his sharp teeth! But, he didn't bite meand in fact seemed pretty cooperative once it burst. It probably felt a lot better!! He's eating and hopping around like always. Very handsome and flirtacious! Hopefully he will be as good-natured while we have to keep poking and pinching him over the next week to keep the wound open.

That's really surprising that a vet said not to use antibiotics for an abscess, which is an infection. Especially since they are very likely to recur and/or spread. Is there another vet you could talk to?:?

naturestee wrote:
That's really surprising that a vet said not to use antibiotics for an abscess, which is an infection. Especially since they are very likely to recur and/or spread. Is there another vet you could talk to?:?
I totally agree. This bunny needs antibiotics.

**This is Wabbitdad, I did not see that my wifewas logged in.;)

I must admit I was a little surprised when our vet did not prescribe an antibiotic. The message was relayed through one of the vet tech's so I didn't get to ask the doctor his reasoning.

However, I totally trusthim, if I did not he would not be seeing any of my rabbits. Hehas an excellent reputation amoung the rabbit community in northernIndiana.

Hmm no antibiotics for an abscess? Thats really shocking. As Im sure you know, abscesses wont go away on their own- they often need very strong antibiotics or at least some silvadine cream to keep them from growing and spreading. From what several vets have told me, unless you competely remove the entire abscess capsule (like as you would remove a tumor- taking out the entire thing) it will keep coming back and being infected.

When I replied earlier, well under Wabbitmom, I didn't get to talk to the vet directly. I am planning on doing that on Monday, not that I think the vet tech relayed the message incorrectly I just want to understand why no antibiotics were issued.

I do trust him and I know he will take care of Thumper.

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is that everyone looks after and cares for each others rabbits.

I don'tmean to be rude and I know everyone has the best of intentions for my rabbits, but please also give me the credit that Ihavethe best interestsof my rabbits in mind andprovide the best care I can for them. I recently gave up some much needed dental work to have one of my rabbits treated.

I have asked the RO Staff toclose this thread. I can see no further benefit from it and I don't think I need to defend my vets actions. He cares about my rabbitsand I trust his years of schooling, specialization in rabbits and his contacts at a prominent veterinary school have taught him what is best.

Thank You

I really dont see a need to close the thread- please know that no one is attacking you or your vet. We all understand here that it is up to each person and their vet to determine the best care for their rabbits. But as rabbit lovers, all of us have experienced the struggle to educate vets on up to date rabbit care. I have an amazing local vet who is awesome with cats and dogs, but he constantly gives me advice that I know to be out of date and possibly even harmful to rabbits (such as giving them yogurt, catlax etc).

Please dont take our suggestions as an attack on your or your vet, who Im sure is wonderful. We just want to help and be sure you have all the information you need to help your little one. Thats why we're here- to help each other based on our own experiences. My sweet boy Max almost died from an abscess so I take it very seriously. We all just want to help! We know you will do everything you can to make sure your Thumper receives the care he needs.

Please keep us posted on his progress! :hug:

I know you've asked for this thread to be closed - but may I please add something to it - even if only for people who might read it in the future when they're researching abcesses for their rabbits?

I have over 100 rabbits and I have treated probably well over 25 abcesses in them at various times. Sometimes I have lanced the abcesses - sometimes I haven't (it depended upon where they were and if they were about to burst, etc).

In the beginning, I didn't use Pen G to treat the rabbits. Like your vet said - I kept it open and I kept draining the abcess and trying to get it to heal up. I'm thinking I probably did this with the first 5-10 rabbits I treated.

One of them I remember in particular - it was Sundae who had developed a really bad abcess on her back from being bit. I think it took her almost 2 months to heal up and even then....the abcess was back shortly afterwards.

When the abcess came back, I learned about giving Pen G shots (and using Pen cream inside the abcess) and we started giving Sundae shots - every other day. Within two weeks, the abcess was almost gone - it was barely draining after just a few days - and remember- this was the same abcess that had been there for like 2 months.

Since then - I've treated all of my rabbits that had a known abcess with Pen G - at least to start fighting the infection and see if it would work. I have been amazed at how much more quickly they have healed than before I used the antibiotics.

I understand where your vet is coming from as far as keeping the abcess drained - I agree with that and that is what I do once an abcess has drained somewhat. However, like others, I just feel like perhaps the healing process will go faster if antibiotics are also used to speed up the process.

I think sometimes vets may not make the best choices for us - not because they are not knowledgable - but maybe out of misguided concern for us. Perhaps they feel we can't handle something (like my mom can't handle giving her diabetic cat shots...but we learned that by switching him to canned food - its helping to keep his diabetes in check). Perhaps it is due to finances - for instance the vet didn't tell mom about special food for diabetic cats because they felt she couldn't afford it. Perhaps your vet feels like "why bother giving antibiotic to a rabbit when it will get over the infection now that its drained"... I'm not criticizing your vet for whatever reason they've made their recommendation.

I'm just sharing - from my own personal experience with a multitude of different rabbits who have had a multitude of abcesses all over the place in their bodies...that I have observed how the antibiotics do speed up the healing process.

I hope I haven't offended you - but I wanted to have that added to this thread in case anyone goes searching sometime for threads on abcesses. I dont' think I've ever really sat down and shared that in a thread here on the forum before.

The one thingI have like about our vet is that he doesgive me all the options available and then working with us to get the rabbit healthy again etc. I can seewhere some vets might not to that.

I don't have problems with giving animals shots, we had a diabetic cat that was given a dose of insulin once a day for 10 years by yours truly.

Barney (steel flemish buck)had two large abscesses on his neck when we got him (told they were fatty cysts) and when one popped and the other was lanced I gave him antibiotic injections twice a day.

Thumper is doing very well, being his usually rascal self. The abscess is no longer noticeable and it is being checked everyday. He and Barney are getting yogurt drops to help with their recoveries. (Barney developed snuffles again, he is getting a strong antibiotic)

I am all for medicines to aid the healing process, my motto is "better living through chemistry". :)

Back