Abcess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbitdad12

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Please send good vibes to my blue flemmie Thumper. I discovered a 1-1.5cm abscess on his jaw last night. We are getting him to the vet asap to have it lanced and drained.

Mr-2.jpg

Good luck to handsome Thumper. I hope that it's nothing much and that he recovers quickly.

Marietta

Poor Thumper!

Make sure the vet checks to be sure its not attached to the tooth root or anything, draining it could make things worse if thats the case. Also, you should ask about using Bicillin injections to help fight the infection and prevent future abscesses. It works great for abscesses.

Just a quick word on mandibular abscesses. I do not open the capsules...ever. Just my way of doing things. I just don't like opening a contained infection. I use a "cocktail" of drugs to fight jaw abscesses. The key it to attack the anaerobic bacteria at the core of the abscess....all of the other stuff doesn't really matter in the big picture of things.

Randy

I agree with Randy, I wouldn't lance it. I have had great results using Pen-G Procaine for abcesses, I had a Flemish buck with a nasty abcess on his hock, I thought sure I was gonna lose him. But I started the Pen-G injections, and in less than a week it was gone, and totally healed up in ten days.

Thanks, Luckily I have a bun savvy vet. I will ask him about the Bicillin and the Pen-G Procaine.

Anybody have any experience with Gentamyician?

Also, any suggestions to alleviate his pain until his vet visit?

As far as I'm aware, Gentamyacin is a very mild antibiotic. Definitely not the kind of thing to use on an abscess. I'll second the injectible penicillans that were mentioned. They're very effective and far better than any oral antibiotic, although you can use an oral drugin combinationwith the injected drug.

I don't have any recommendations for treating the pain. My vet doesn't want people to give pain meds to their pets before a vet visit even if they are leftovers of a previous prescription- correct drug and amount. Sometimes it interferes with their ability to diagnose a problem. Is he eating ok though? If the abscess is connected to a tooth root then he may have trouble chewing. Offer some softer foods like leafy veggies, Critical Care or softened pellets, or canned pumpkin.

Best of luck, and keep us updated!

I'm not trying to say don't see the vet - please understand that.

Sting - my adorable little buck had an abcess that wasn't part of the jaw but was in that area. I could move it around with my fingers and feel it - it was about the size of a pea. (We discovered it partly because Robin had noticed he wasn't chinning as much).

We also used the Pen G like Randy recommended and two weeks later - it was gone. I just felt that area again last night - its still gone....its been at least two months.

Once again - I'm not saying don't see a vet. But I do tend to agree with Randy on this....then again - Sting's abcess wasn't attached to the jaw it was just in that area. We think he scratched himself or something...

I would not suggest using Gentamycin unless under the direct supervision of a vet. There have been numerous reports of acute renal failure when using this drug.Monitoring kidneyvalues andkeepingproper hydration would be critical in the rare times Gentamycin would be considered for use in a rabbit.Pen G is usually very effective and even more so when combined with appropriate support antibiotics.

Randy

Well the vet said the abcess was not involved with the teeth or jaw so that is good news. Our vet also said he was not in pain, but not without some discomfort. He said that Thumper is in very good health otherwise, despite Thumper trying to bite him.

While examining him tonight the abcess started to seep and popped. We have cleaned it applied appropriate first aid and will be calling the vet first thing in the morning.

Latest posts

Back