Abbreviation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
I'm going to ask everyone who's abbreviated to please describe what the abbreviations mean.

If you have a question about an abbreviation that isn't here, please ask.

Here's a few to get us started:

APU: As per usual

BOL: Bursting (or Busting) out laughing

BRB: Be right back

BUMPING UP A POST: Bringing an old post back into current circulation for those that you think haven't read it.

Doc: A veterinarian or Pamnock, ARBA Judge

FYI: For your information

IMHO: In my humble opinion

IP: Internet Provider, also referred to ISP: InternetService Provider. Every 'IP' assigns a numerical address whenever youpost.

J/K or JK: Just kidding

JMHO: Just my humble opinion

JMO: Just my opinion

JMPO: Just my personal opinion

KMR: Kitten Milk Replacer

LMAO: Laughingmy off

LMBO: Laughing my butt off

LOL: Lots of Laughs/Laughs Out Loud

O/T: Off Topic

PEEPS: People

ROTFLMAO: Rolling on the floor, laughingmy off

ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing

THREAD: The conversation within a post.

TROLL: Bad behavior will give someone the "troll" name, and will be banished.

Some terms you'll see in the rabbit world:

4-H CLUB: An organization that teaches children how to care for and exhibit livestock.

ARBA: American Rabbit Breeders Association

Binky: Expression of happiness by a rabbit. "When a rabbitbinkies, it jumps into the air and twists its head and body in oppositedirections (sometimes twice) before falling back to theground."
http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_binkies.html

Buck: Male rabbit

Broken: A variety that has a color in conjunction with white

Culling: Removal of undesirable rabbits from the herd

Dam: The mother of a rabbit

Dewlap: A fold of loose skin which hangs from the throat, common in does

Doe: Female Rabbit

Flat Coat: Fur lying to closely to the body. Lacksspring or body as noted by touch. Usually a fine coat coupled with alack of density.

Fly Back: When the fur returns quickly to its normalposition after being stroked toward the head of the rabbit.

Gestation: The time between mating and kindling of a doe, usually about 31 days.

Hock: The portion of the foot that carries the weight of the rabbit

HRS: House Rabbit Society

Juniors: A rabbit under 6 months old

Kindling: Giving birth

Kits: Baby rabbits

Litter: Young rabbits being raised by a doe

Luster: Brilliance/brightness of fur

Moult/Molt: The process of shedding fur

Nest: A whole in straw or hay, which a doe lines with fur, preparing for the litter to be born.

Nutri-Cal: A high calorie dietary energizer for animals who won't eat.

Open Coat: Fur that doesn't return to normal position when stroked backwards.

Peanut: A kit that is born with a dwarfing gene from eachparent. With such a genetic make-up, they usually die within a few daysof birth as they are unable to grow.

PETA: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Runt: Smallest kit of the litter, but able to grow as big as their siblings.

Rollback: Fur that gently falls back into position when stroked backwards.

Sexing: Determining the sex of the rabbit

Weaning: The separation of young from the doe. Ending the lactating and nursing period.

Carolyn

Thank you so much for this really helpful to me :p

I now know what a binky is! My Benjy quite often does a binky in themorning when I let him out of his cage into the garden, (they both havethe run of the garden all day long) He does it once, sometimes twice ashe is running off down the garden! :)

Guess it is his way of saying thanks for letting him out! Sure made melaugh the first time I saw him do it! I have never seenCrunchie do a binky at all!:( Mind you she is rather a laidback type and quite lazy!

Thanks again for the abbreviations!

Sue

Ivory binky's all the time in her cage. She didthat once when my friend was over, and she's like 'your bunnysattacking your cage' and im like 'oh that? thats called a binky'...letsjust say 'binky' is her new favorite word. i told her its also a verband she started laughing. you have to admit, its a funny word.

Foofy,

Some rabbits binky (agree, dreamgal, that it is a silly word) more than others.

Tucker and Calbert binky like a Mexican jumping beans, but Missy and Fauna are a bit more subdued about it.
?
Another sign of a happy rabbit is running really fast or flops--where they fall over on their sides and totally relax.?

Don't get discouraged. Crunchie will come around to it in his/her own good time.

:)

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn for posting this! Therewere several on here that I did not know. Once again you'relooking out for us.:D

Wabbitwuv

PEEPS~ people

APU~ as per usual

IMHO~ in my humble opinion (same as JMHO but some use the former)

:) thats it from the peanut gallery

Cher (speaking of peanut, Carolyn-can you post on yourlist what that refers to in a new litter for those who have them?)

Great Post Carolyn!

Some abbrevs. may have different meanings depending on what type offorum you are on and it can seem to be a completely different language!

DH on rabbit forums is of course "Dwarf Hotot", but visit a family forum and it's "Dear/Darling Husband" LOL

Anyone else know of some "dual" abbrevs?

Pam

I know a dual abbreviation, Pam. :)

In this forum:

Doc = A veterinarian or Pamnock, American Rabbit Breeders Association Judge.

:dude:

-Carolyn

Loz n Ebony wrote:
Awwwwwww is that what a binky is? Ebony does that all thetime when shes in the garden!!!
I dind't know what a binky was either! My buns do that after they get a piece of a carrot, which they love... :D

Bringing this back around for our new members.

:)

-Carolyn

Thanks for bringing this back around.It's very useful. I'm also glad to now know what a binkyis. Mr. Peabody does them quite often and I can now tell thehubby he isn't going crazy he's just letting us know he's happy...lol!

For the new people who've entered.

-Carolyn

Back