abandoned rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddlexoverload

Reaction score
.... my mom found an orphaned baby in the yard,next door. there was no nest, but she took it to me, because leftthere, it would get eaten. It was cold, and its very young. its eyesand ears are closed and back, its probably like, 3 days old? oryounger.. I have it in a container, heating pad on low, its likewrapped in a towel kind of, and im waiting for kitty replacement milk.I read that added some acidophillus could benefit, so i crushed someup, and im planning on adding it to the milk... I know that it isillegal to keep wild animals... but i have a feeling that they couldntdo anything that i cant do it to help save it.. at a wildlife place...i hope im not being selfish about this though.. my moms boyfriendthinks the mom kicked it out of the nest and left it there because itwas the runt?.. does anyone have anything to add on caring for it?

This is from the HRS. I hope it helps you.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

Feeding of True Orphans Age + Amount (This WILL vary depending on typeof rabbit. It is impossible over the Internet to see your particularrabbit, so this is only approximate.) Use Goat Milk or KMR, regular notlow fat. Add a pinch of acidophilus (aka Probiotic) to the formula topromote healthy gut flora. Formulas vary depending on region. AvoidEsbilac. FEED TWICE A DAY ONLY.

Newborn to One Week: 2 - 2+1/2 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day).

1-2 weeks: 5-7 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day). (depending onbunny..may be much LESS if smaller rabbit!) Newborn babies (if eyesclosed) all need to be stimulated to urinate and defecate prior to orfollowing feeding until their eyes open. (Except Jackrabbits do not).*See how to below.

2-3 weeks: 7-13 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings). Domestic eyes openat about 10 days of age. Start introducing them to timothy and oat hay,pellets and water (always add fresh greens for wild ones).

i put some crushed up acidphollis in somereplacement milk, i got her/ him to drink .50 cc? some of it was on hischin though... hes been going to the bathroom good. I stimulated him acouple of times "If you have a healthy adult rabbit at home and you cancollect cecotropes (the soft brown droppings that the rabbit usuallyeats) then these can be mixed with the KMR to give the baby bunnynormal bacteria for its intestinal tract." im guessing this is only fordomestic rabbits? right? or could i possibly give this wild one some?he still seems alittle dehydrated because of the skin..but maybe itsjust a little loose? I dont know. he's warmer now and his belly islooking rounder.. I hope this kid makes it.

I got him to drink 1.00 cc. Well, finish it off.I weighed him and he weighs 80 grams... whats normal for a newborn...bunny? cottontail maybe?

Its hard to tellat this age Is the color brownor black in the photoit looks very dark ,normally cotton tails are abrown color to blend in withtheir surroundings , ? Are thereany Domestic rabbits running loose nearyou ? can you repost a new picture in acouple days possably withnatural light so wecan get a better look at it ? thanks

Oh I am so praying for this little guy!! I hopehe/she makes it!! So cute! If he/she makes it will you keep he/she? Ifyou do you are going to have to pick a name since it is hard for me tokeep typing he/she.

thank you. She/He is doing good, just sleeping..hehe, babies!.. I named him/her Emsley... It supposably means gift fromabove. I dont know why, but I just kind of like it. hehe.. so, I don'tknow if im keeping Emsley yet... I guess it depends how she grows up...

I Woke up at 5 for an early feeding. Emsleywasn't very fond of it, I ran it under hot water to warm it up, but itdidnt really work, does anyone have any tips or ideas on another way tomake it warmer? It says not to microwave it.... When he/she was foundhe was cold, and dehydrated, and unfed... Right now he seemswarmer, and when i pinch some skin on the back of his neck, it goesdown.. not very fast but it still goes down... I take his condition asnot perfect but improved, one of his front legs might not work/bebroken. I dont really know as babys dont move much, but it just sitsthere and can move like all the back if Emsley lays a certain way... Ihope this kid makes it...

... Emsley startedsqueaking, whatsthis mean? I tried to feed her but i was scared she was gonna inhaleit... :-/ I dont want her to die, but I feel like any minute Ill lookat her and she'll be gone...

yeah, thank you, i have tried... I dont forcethe syringe in her mouth, i just kind of put it on her lips and she canlick it off, yanno?...

:tears2:

I'm so sorry.

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry! I knowthat you did everything you could for this baby. Just remember that ifthere was anything that you could have done you would have done it :)She is in a better place now, :angel:

So sorry :(

~Amy

Latest posts

Back