A very unpopular view

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had terrible troubles with guniea pigs before. Every female I got was pregnent when I purchased her. The first female had 3 littlens and they all servived. Until I gave one to a school friend I thought I could trust got a cat the next week and let it kill the guinea pig. Then the next female canabulised her litter. I could never get another guinea pig again. Sorry for going off topic. But I'm just trying to say what unprepared pregnancy can do to a person. And the little babies.

Where I live (Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA) you would not be able to tell if there aws a rabbit problem if you didn't look. I have NEVER seen an add in the paper for a rehome. None of the pet stores here put up ads on bulletins, either. BUT, if you go to the Humane Society (HAWS, in my case) there is a whole room of just rabbits! There are at LEAST 20+ rabbits crammed into tiny cages in a small room (housed in the same room as birds, how nice :grumpy:). That is ONE rescue! TreasuredFriend is a local labor-of-love rescue. Some rescues are good at hiding, too. Other places won't even take in rabbits. On Craigslist, there are plenty of rabbit rehomes (for free, no "rehoming fee", either).

Sometimes you need to just know where to look. It's tricky ;)

No, really, me and Sabine have searched, there isn't. There aren't many places to look..;)I know it's hard to understand.

irishbunny wrote:
No, really, me and Sabine have searched, there isn't. There aren't many places to look..;)I know it's hard to understand.
Well there is one actually one up for adoption now:p. If any Irish people want a link I'll send it on. Didn't there use to be a guinea pig shelter somewhere in ireland?

i know there is the odd one but what i mean is there never is loads of them at once and no bunny shelters.

Ya there was a small animal rescue in Tipp, but closed done and became a guinea pig boarding service when they were getting little to no animals in.

irishbunny wrote:
I wasn't saying that there were super-good-at-hiding ones in your area :) I was just commenting on how it is here. I would have never known how many rescues were in the area here until I went to the Humane Society for my finches. They hide them here...

We can Fed-Ex you some if you really want them! :biggrin2: lol

I just got word that there's ONE rabbit in a shelter in Limerick. We do have overpopulation after all:)

I think we can all agree that whether there is a rabbit overpopulation or not makes no difference when it comes to improperly breeding rabbits. Creating unhealthy rabbits due to breeding rabbits with genetic issues (not talking about color or anything), or breeding a doe that is too young/too old, breeding a doe to a bigger buck, etc etc. are things we shouldn't want. And that has nothing to do with surpopulation, but it has everything to do with knowledge and not adding to the problem ;)

I personally think this thread needs to end and let it be floated off into the many pages of RO.

Every one has stated their opinions and I don't think anyone here is going to "win" :p. "Ganging up" hasn't proven it's self to be successful in the past, either.

:balloons:

MissBinky wrote:
I think we can all agree that whether there is a rabbit overpopulation or not makes no difference when it comes to improperly breeding rabbits. Creating unhealthy rabbits due to breeding rabbits with genetic issues (not talking about color or anything), or breeding a doe that is too young/too old, breeding a doe to a bigger buck, etc etc. are things we shouldn't want. And that has nothing to do with surpopulation, but it has everything to do with knowledge and not adding to the problem ;)
Sounds like a good final statement to me:)

undergunfire wrote:
I personally think this thread needs to end and let it be floated off into the many pages of RO.

Every one has stated their opinions and I don't think anyone here is going to "win" :p. "Ganging up" hasn't proven it's self to be successful in the past, either.

:balloons:
hear, hear!

I agree, we all ave different opinions depending on our countries circumstances, and we are just going to go back and forth forever!..:)

http://www.costablancaworld.com/pets_animals.htm

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/qanda_en.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/regulation/eu_regq&a.htm#4

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=pets/index.xml

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/petover.htm

As far as I can tell, members of the EU have great options for transporting pets between nations.

The above links provide a way for those of you in Ireland to get shelter rabbits from other nations. It is easiest for you to get rabbits from the UK, as all pets are immediately transferable between UK and Ireland, provided that a few veterinary records are in order. Rabbits may not even require the pet passport.

Obviously, if you are inspired enough to get a shelter rabbit into the Ireland from the overpopulated UK, there are only a few easy steps to follow.

ETA: Sorry guys, started writing this a few hours before, ate dinner, and didn't see the cease-post notes. Be proud tho! I did a lot of research!

NorthernAutumn wrote:
http://www.costablancaworld.com/pets_animals.htm

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/qanda_en.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/regulation/eu_regq&a.htm#4

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=pets/index.xml

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/petover.htm

As far as I can tell, members of the EU have great options for transporting pets between nations.

The above links provide a way for those of you in Ireland to get shelter rabbits from other nations. It is easiest for you to get rabbits from the UK, as all pets are immediately transferable between UK and Ireland, provided that a few veterinary records are in order. Rabbits may not even require the pet passport.

Obviously, if you are inspired enough to get a shelter rabbit into the Ireland from the overpopulated UK, there are only a few easy steps to follow.
Cool, I never knew such an option existed. I'll sure check it out.Oh dear there'll be so much temptation put in my way:) Thanks a million for that. Sabine

Another thing you should think about before breeding "just for fun" is this. If you want to breed just for fun, that is like you getting pregnant just because you want to see how raising a kid would be like, etc. You get the good out but others may suffer (not just physically at all, but also mentally).

Does don't get to choose if they get pregnant/have kits. We choose for them, andif you're breeding just for fun, they're not going to think it's fun to have to take care of babies that are only for your enjoyment because you "Wanna know what it's like to have baby bunnies", etc. Your doing it for yourself, to have the experience of baby bunnies,only to hope that in the end the babies will have good homes.

The point im trying to make is, if you're going to breed, do it to better the breed. I am talking from past experience. I used to breed mixes when i first started. The first litter was an accident - and you know what happend? We lost one kit due to deformalities, and Artie, was legally blind and partially paralyzed. Just goes to show you things can happen when you don't know what you're doing.

The next litter of mixes -was- planned. Did we know about all the rabbits in the shelters? About all the overpopulation? No, because we were still inexperienced in that field. We knew about breeding and that was why we bred I think 3 more litters after the 1st. Did we regret breeding? Yes and no. No, because we were blessed with babies that were amazing, not just cute, but each and every one of them taught us something; yes, because it was difficult finding homes for them, even when you think you have homes for them, things can happen; and we were only adding to the problem that we didn't know about until afterwards.

If you want to breed, learnhow to do it thecorrect way. Get some great stock so that you can improve thebreed. Talk to other breedersto help you with it.Don't do it just for fun, because it may get you know where. You may end up dealing with6 baby bunnies until they're older,because you thought you had a home for them but itturnedout thatyour friendCassidyfound another bunny, or couldn't get one afterall. Find something good that you can improve the breed on, and that's what good breeding is about.

You don't have to breed just for fun to get cute rabbits/the experience, responsible breeding gives you the same results, and betters the breed you're raising.

So, think about it. If you really want to get into breeding rabbits, go about it the right way. Not only is it better, but it feels better, too. You're giving back to the breed, instead of overpopulating.

Emily

I just spent quite a while reading the first page. I do not feel like reading the other pages however I feel I should reply. I believe most breeders are "backyard breeders", almost every breeder I have met/known/talked to do not take the rabbits "true" health and happiness into mind. Small cages, wire floors with no resting boards, barely any free time, pellets as staple and they breed their rabbits till they die or they decide to replace them. Also if they really took their rabbit's health and happiness into mind they would not breed them and wouldneuter them. Breeding shortens their lifespands, makes their only thoughts "BREEED" and a huge percent of female rabbits either have, get or die ofa type"female" cancer.

This whole knowing a rabbits genetics before breeding thing is balogna to me. Most rabbit breeders I "watch" bring in random rabbits from other breeders and breed them into their stock. If they see a rabbit with rare color or nice type they buy it and breed it in. Pedigrees do NOT tell genetics, they state breed, ages, colors, weight, names and wins. Even if you buy one from the small fraction of breeders who list the known color genetic code of the rabbit it does not state if the rabbit carries such and such genes for bad teeth, misscolored toe nails, I.G. track problems, arthritis, etc. Unless you have bred one line of rabbit for 5 years and not ever brought in a new unknown line then yes, you can, if you try, know the genetics however I have not heard of anyone who does this.

I personally think a pet owner with breeding, health and happinessknowledge would raise better rabbits than a breeder, pet wise. The babies would get handled very much, raised inside, be around other animals, not be killed/sold willy-nillybecause they do not look good and would probably go to pet homes where they are not shipped from breeder to breeder having 3-5 litters a year.

Now, please do not take this as rude or me saying I hate breeders(as I once was one) but I now have a better perspective on rabbits. I have saw both sides of the fence and though I love baby rabbits I HATE what breeder rabbits go through.

Latest posts

Back