A two-month-old bunny has very dark yellow urine, but no odor.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. Kat here!

Zelda has been living in my home for almost two weeks. She's pretty much litter box trained.

I use Arm & Hammer cage liners for her litter box. I've noticed her urine a very dark yellow, but no strong odor.

Thanks to excellent advice, Zelda is off the sugary pellets and eating Oxbow alfalfa pellets as of 6/29. Her diet consists primarily of hay. The majority is alfalfa mixed with some Timothy hay.

Zelda is given filtered water in a bowl, not a drip bottle.

She's seeing an exotic vet Friday morning.

Should I be scared?
Should I change something immediately?

Really dark urine can be because a rabbit isn't drinking enough. Orangish urine can be from plant pigments from the food they eat. Beige to brownish urine can be if they have a UTI. The urine color can vary in rabbits as a normal thing, usually because of the food they eat. And a few colors of the urine indicate a health issue.

If your bun is drinking enough, I would suspect it's from the alfalfa hay, which can commonly affect the color of urine because of the plant pigments. If you aren't sure, take a photo and post it here, and maybe we can give you a better idea if it's normal or not.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine

Really dark urine can be because a rabbit isn't drinking enough. Orangish urine can be from plant pigments from the food they eat. Beige to brownish urine can be if they have a UTI. The urine color can vary in rabbits as a normal thing, usually because of the food they eat. And a few colors of the urine indicate a health issue.

If your bun is drinking enough, I would suspect it's from the alfalfa hay, which can commonly affect the color of urine because of the plant pigments. If you aren't sure, take a photo and post it here, and maybe we can give you a better idea if it's normal or not.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine

hank you for the information

here is an image, please pardon the mess.

Attachments

• PXL_20210630_170824488.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210630_170824488.NIGHT.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 6
That looks more orange to me actually -- regardless, it's always good to take measures to make sure your rabbit is well-hydrated.

What the others have said, that looks like normal plant pigmentation, and darkens as it dries. Though if you ever see spots of red in it or your bun starts getting a urine soaked bottom, then there could be something like a UTI going on.

Latest posts

Back