a stranger offered my dog a treat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
Every morning When i put Tyler on the bus thisold man waves from his apartment. Yesterday when I went toget him from the bus he was sitting outside and said he had a bone thathe was saving for my dog. He told me the bank gaveit to him and he wanted to give it to my dog.. Well I saidsure and I took the bone from him and said he couldnt eat it outside,said he would make a mess. I bet i sounded dumb. Hestood there for a few minutes.. I felt bad but It just didnt make sencethat the bank would give him a bone unless he had a dog withhim.. So i was wondeing if he put something on the bone.. Ijust threw it away.

What would you guys do in that sitation. It would seem reallystupid of anyone to poision a dog with a treat and I know where youlive but it wasnt a risk I was willing to take.

Cristy

I would have done the same thing.. It seems alittle odd that the man would offer the dog a treat to start with, thento say he got it from the bank?!?! I would definatly have to wonder.

maybe he got it from the "food" bank!

Nevertheless, I would never let someone give my pet food.

Glad you didn't let him.

I get dog biscuits from the bank or from thecoffee shop for free and I don't have a dog. I keep them forwhen I do run into a dog I love. I've asked if I could give astranger's dog a biscuit, sometimes they say yes, sometimes they sayno. A person can't get offended if the answer isno. Besides, you don't always know if the biscuit is good orbad for the dog's diet.

Regardless, even though I don't have a dog, I'm an animal lover and love to see an animal happy and excited.

All of that said, overprotective - no, just cautious and there'snothing wrong with that. Better safe than sorry.

-Carolyn

I still feel not giving him the treat was thebest thing. Thanks Carloyn for reminding me that there aregood people who just love to see a happy pet. I been watchinga lot of animal planet lately and sometimes you see some scary stuff onthere.

Cristy

That is very true..Specially if you watch e-vetsand they have the horror stories of people tossing radiator fluidsoaked dog food over a fence for someones dog to eat. When I think ofppl being that mean I just want to shoot them all. Those poor animals.

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Istill feel not giving him the treat was the best thing.Thanks Carloyn for reminding me that there are good people who justlove to see a happy pet. I been watching a lot of animalplanet lately and sometimes you see some scary stuff on there.

Cristy

Not to worry, Cristy. Like I said, you're better safe than sorry.

Give the puppy a kiss for me.

:kiss:

-Carolyn

shadow10978 wrote:
When I think of ppl being that mean I just want to shootthem all. Those poor animals.

I second that emotion.

-Carolyn

I also would havegraciously accepted then secretly thrownit away , Its too lare a chanceto take , Especially whereas you truely dont know theMan who offered the bone , simplereminder for those not old enough toremember ,

Back Years ago the way Todeal with preditors and varmints wasto lace Meats , Bones and Animal Offalwith Strictnine , Arsnic , orRat poison , Its indiscriminatein what it killed, rule ofthumb If you cant taste it dont feed itto your animal ,

I would no more let a stranger give anything to myanimals, than I would let a stranger give candyto my child .

During the winter holidays, my mailman gives outdog biscuits to all the dogs in the neighborhood. (There's a dog inalmost every household) Of course, he asks for permission.

I'm sure the man meant well, but I'm glad that you threw it away. I would only accept a treat from someone I trust.

This topic reminds me of when my two goldens were outdoor dogs. Theneighborhood kids loved them but would feed them candy and other junkswhen we weren't home until one day we caught them. Luckily, my dogsdidn't get sick but we had to put them in their kennel when we weregone to keep the kids from doing that. Very scary!

I would have done the same thing.

Some people think I'm paranoid because I won't tell a stranger my dog'sname either. If they ask, I just say a differentname. This is because I've heard stories of people learningyour dog's name and making friends with him so that the dog won't seethe person as an intruder when they break into the owner's house orsomething.

I know most people are just being friendly when they want to pet yourdog, ask his name, or offer a treat. But better safe thansorry, I always say.

Good point espicially with someone that has aguard dog! That gave me a creepy feeling. Yeah, I would have done tehsame thing, because you just don't know about people these days!

a while back in Toronto, some sicko was poisoning hot dogs and leaving them in a dog park. one dog died, and others got sick.

like Carolyn said, some people have good intentions. but no one willprotect your dog except you, and you must do what you feel is right.

i used to work security at a condo, and i bought dog treats everyweekto keep at the desk. all the dogs knew where the cookies were kept, buti would only give the treats when the owners allowed me to.

Nicky Snow wrote:
i used to work security at a condo, and i bought dog treats everyweekto keep at the desk. all the dogs knew where the cookies were kept, buti would only give the treats when the owners allowed me to.

I do that too! :highfive:

I have a tin of Dog Biscuits and all the dogs come bee-lining it to Me whenever they're near or in the building.

:bunnydance:

-Carolyn

Carolyn, i just love that dancing white bunny, i wish i could teach Sully how to dance like that.:bunnydance:

there was this one poor doggy at the condo who was on a diet, she wouldalways race over to me, but her poppa said "no treats". :(soshe got extra ears scratches.

Nicky Snow wrote:
there was this one poor doggy at the condo who was on a diet, she wouldalways race over to me, but her poppa said "no treats". :(?so she gotextra ears scratches.

Yup! I've got a dog and owner like that too. Breaks my heart because puppy Knows I've got treats!!!

So Sad :sad: - But! Ya gotta do what the parents say. :dunno:

Without a doubt, that Baby gets mushed on by me. I whisper to him andtell him how sorry I am. He Knows it's not me refusing him because I'dNever refuse him!

He's M'Baybee!

:kiss:

-Carolyn

P.S. Nicky,

I'd love to teach my crew to do the bunny dance too :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

But...

if you watch closely, when they do a binky, it's the Bunny Dance - just 100x faster.

I think it was Wrigley's Mom who caught Wrigley in a freeze frame of doing the bunny dance.

So cute! I love when my rabbit does binkies! Itried to takea picture of one before but as soon as I got thecamera in position she would jsut sit there! Hehe little brat! :)

Latest posts

Back