A Sore on Mella's Foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
Mella has developed a sore on the heel of her foot. She's a mini-rex and I've read that because of their thin fur this is prone to happen. I try to be so careful. She's has a plastic floor on her cage, and she spends loads of time out and about on the rug.

The only thing I can figure is it was her time spent in the litterbox. I feel horrible. I did a search for "sore hocks" here and saw that there was a thread about using iodine and anti-fungal powder. I've placed a plastic placemat in her cage for extra comfort, because I read Pamnock's post saying that towels and blankets for comfort can hold bacteria.

Should I take her to the vet? Is there something I can do here at home? If I use powder and iodine how can I prevent her from licking it? Doesn't this lead to infection? I feel horrible. I'm really not a neglectful rabbit mommy. Please help.

No, you're not a neglectful mommy. My mini-rexhas sore spots on his back feet as well. It is because Rex fur is soespecially thin that it is easy to wear or rub off. I've heard that teabags pressed up against the feet can help with the inflammation.

~M

Hey Sara. Don't worry, we know you're not a badbunny mommy. My Rex, Fudge, had sore hocks frequently and myvet said they saw a lot of Rexs' with the same problem. I was recentlyat a rabbit welfare day, and one of the things they said helped was touse Preparation H cream, from a chemist - humans use it forhaemerroids(sp) - though I don't know what's moreembarassing,asking for it or explaining it's for your rabbit lol. Iused to use a little Sudocrem on Fudge, which seemed to help.

Jan

Try the iodine for a couple days, then follow upwith alittle fungal foot powder daily-- you cankeep her distracted with a little hay long enough for her to forget youput something on her heel that she may lick off (although that smallamount is not a concern if she ingests it).

It's important to treat ASAP because the skin can break open, inviting infection which can spread up the leg.

The special resting boards for rabbits are nice because they areperforated allowing for easy drainage. The resting boardshould be cleaned of any refuse daily.

Mini Rex are prone to sore or calloused hocks, but surprisingly, I'veseen a lot of calloused hocks on Angoras, despite their well furredfoot. Older rabbits and ill rabbits are also prone to thebreakdown of tissue where there is any pressure or added stress such ason the feet.

Pam

Thanks you guys.

Pamnock, I'll try the iodine tonight. What sort of anti-fungal powder should I use? The type for humans?

You all made me feel much better. It's so upsetting when something iswrong with my babies. :XI can't help but to feel responsible.She seems fine & hopefully the sore will heal soon.

Sarah,

You are far from a bad mother to your bunnies. Thesethings happen and you caught it in time to correct it, so don't beatyourself up. Following 'the Doc's' advice, Mella will befine.

Keep us posted.

:)

-Carolyn

I started the iodine last night and actuallyfound a sore in the same spot on her other sweet baby foot.:XShe was not pleased about the iodine. She'd rather havesores than let anyone touch those goofy feet. I'll pick up theanti-fungal powder tonight. Thanks again for the help. I knew I couldpost on here and get good advice. I love this place! :p

i found a spot with no fur on Roger's foot. Do i need to treat it.. theres no sore that i can tell of.

Cristy

Back