A question for those of you with house bunnies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennaLynn

Reaction score
I recently acquired a new bun bun who has become my only house bunny. He has taken quite nicely to his litterbox. But how do you deal with the little bunny poos? Do you do something special or is there just a lot of vacuuming involved?

Ahh, yes, the stray poos! I kept a small dustpan handy to sweep up those guys. Our (very large) dog used to also help out with clean up (eeww!).

My current pair amazingly do not drop stray poos outside their cage. They are quite well-behaved. The cage door is open 15 hours per day, but they are good about not dropping poos. I can't take credit for that though. They were rescued and were like that when I got them.

I also keep a small hand brush and dust pan and sweep them up. Big Bunny is amazing at not leaving stray poops, but sometimes he kicks them out of the litter box accidentally. The baby, on the other hand, is a poop machine! The more I sweep up, the more she poos. Haha.

Good luck potty training :)

If he gets neutered when he's old enough, that may help. Or maybe he's just too young to know better & will grow out of the bad habit.

My broom and dust pan are always handy! Oso, our little doggy helps out when he can too, nasty little guy!

I must sweep a good 15 times before going to bed.. and then once the buns are put away and the kids are in bed, my fun really starts. I get to mop the floors, clean the cages.. oh the joy!

When I first brought Agnes home she pooped aLOT and everywhere. I think part of that is marking that that area is theirs. Agnes isn't even spayed yet (getting that done next month) and she is ten times better about pooping now. There are still stray ones but not nearly as many. As far as picking them up, when inwalk by one I just pick it up with my hand half the time. :)

even my nuetered boy has a couple stray ones now and then...i keep a dog to clean up behind him :)

I usually just grab the stray poop with my hand. It's just dried grass/hay/pellets after all. LOL Max used to leave stray ones a lot, but the older she's gotten the less it's an issue. Not sure if it would increase if she were in the same room with Nestle, though.

I have a dustbuster, not a big deal. With having two pair that alternate access to the rest of the house they do tend to poo a little as markers. The funny part is that they chin EVERYTHING every time they get out because the others chinned. It's pretty cute and worth the little poo they leave.

I have a small dust pan, a small shop vac with a long extension and well, my dog Troy. Gubb and Atts have been neutered for a while and still sprinkle a bit here and there. Their urine makes the box though which is nice as far as clean up.

My first rabbit Bailey was 100% with his box and only left poops around rarely, and then only 3 or 4.

I think adding multiple boxes and putting hay and food in such a way that they have to be in a box to eat helps the process. Buns naturally eliminate when they eat, so showing them to eliminate in a box seems to help.

I agree with Sammy, when I added a corner litter box in the living room it really helped with poo patrol. Now they have an appropriate space to commence the poo war, and they keep most in the box.

It doesn't seem to be territorial because I think he's still a little to young for that and it's not concentrated (in a specific place). He just drops them willy nilly as he bounces about. And there is so much of it! He's like a little poop machine. Needless to say the vacuum cleaner has become my best friend.

Twigs will only leave poop around when he's playing or trying to "Love" my daughter. We have one of those push vac things like they use in department stores or restuarants.

Thumper used to leave poos more often and more of them when I first got him. Now he only does it rarely and just a few. Mostly he seems to do it when he greets me by running circles around me.

Kiwi- she's spayed and has very good litter habits. Always in her box. I've noticed that since I got Papaya she will leave the odd poop by the bunny barrier- I believe she's marking her territory?

Papaya on the other hand... He's had a few per accidents outside his cage but for the most part, only pees in his litter box. He does alot of poops in his litter box too, but man, when's he's out in his xpen, he is a pooping machine!!! Poops everywhere!! I'm hoping once he's neutered this will stop!

Once my bunnies were basically trained, I would pick up the spare poops and put them in the litter pan. I change their litter pan about every day.

NOW - my bunnies are about 6 months old and their hormones are going. They are mounting each other, and unfortunately their litter box habbit is broken. They are pooping everywhere again. They get fixed on Monday, so hopefully they will get back on track soon. In the meantime, I'm using a vacuum for ALL of their poops. Too much to deal with without it.

My guy is about 5 months old and leaves a poo here and there on the floor, but when he get in my chair and I'm not there, or on the couch...game on!!! 20-30 at a time. I've had to block off the couch completely and my chair when I'm not sitting in it. Think this will help when I get him fixed? Ugh.

Latest posts

Back