A plastic bag chased JJ

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nose_twitch

Reaction score
JJ got a foot or nail attached to a plastic bag and freaked out, thinking it was chasing him. He ran all around the apartment scared out of his mind and running into things trying to get away from it. He finally did, but I'm worried that he may be injured.

I found a nail on the floor that he had lost but, when I examined him, he wasn't bleeding, and he hopped away in a normal fashion. Now he just seems traumatized and is huddled into a little ball. He has eaten a bitof lettuce and banana but won't come out of his hiding place.

Do you think I should take him to a vet? If he were hurt, he probably wouldn't be eating, right? I will take him to a vet if everyone thinks it's a good idea, but I am very poor right now, so I don't want to do it unless it's necessary.

I feel so bad. I haven't trimmed his nails in awhile, and I think that may have been why he got caught on a bag. :( Please help.

It sounds like a good sign that he's eating...a rabbit in severe stress normally won't touch food. You could always call your vet and explain what happened, and get his or her opinion...I think if it were me, I'd wait and watch him closely for the next little while. He should eventually come out from hiding and explore again, though he could be a bit jumpy for a while...
As for the nail, if there's no bleeding I wouldn't worry about it. Just check him after he's calmed down for any loose nails.

btw, a similar thing happened to my dog once, many years ago. She got a piece of elastic caught on her toe and totally freaked, running through the apartment and crashing into the walls before my son and I could catch her. She wasn't hurt, but was in a state of panic for quite a while afterward. These things happen...

yeah, I would just keep a close eye on him. As long as you can tell hes not hurt, he should be alright. Hes probably just in shock...which taking him to the vet might make worse.

Just let him relax and calm down a bit, and keep an eye on him to make sure hes doing okay. Treats also help bun relax a bit too :)

Hope the little guy is alright..those bags can be frightening! :)

-Haley

Thanks for your responses guys. JJ was favoring his paw a bit so I took him to the vet. Turns out he fractured a toe. :( The vet said it should heal fine and to just limit his movement for awhile. I feel so horrible....

Aww poor little guy.Glad you took him in. Did they give him any pain meds or anything?

Its not your fault, accidents happen..its a reminder to us all to keep things off the floor..its amazing howsomething so harmless can hurt a little bun.

Give him a little kiss from me..hopehe gets to feeling better.

-Haley

Haley's right, this wasn't your fault :hug2The important thing is that you're taking such good care of him after his big scare.

Thanksfor your kind responses, I do feel really bad. I'm in the process of moving, so there is junk everywhere. Right now JJ's restricted to a small area, and he's hopping around fine, just being a little ginger. The vet said he didn't think he was in too much pain since he's eating well. My poor baby.

Poor JJ. He's in really good hands, though! How long do you have to keep him confined?

And like M.E. and Haley said, it's not your fault. Accidents happen, and it sounds like he'll be just fine.

Thanks naturestee. The vet said to keep his movements limited for a week and a half to two weeks and to make sure he is no longer favoring his paw.

Calm him and get him through this - he will most likely just avoid them, butif he has a terror fit when plastic bags are around, take one and wad it in your hand and gently begin to stroke him with it. After he settles a bit, hold it where he can see it and that it's not hurting him and stroke him a bit more while rustling it a little.

This is a method we use for the horses to stop them from "spooking" - we've used it on other animals and it works wonders!

Latest posts

Back