A pet for my classroom!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsnipandtoffee

Reaction score
I'm starting at a new school in September (I'm ateacher) and would really like to get a pet for my new classroom, but Idon't know what to get.

I don't want to get a bun as I wouldn't be able to give it the sameamount of attention as the boys get at home (sunday morning cuddles inbed etc) but am unsure what to get.

Also, I can get a pupil to take it home in the holidays to care for itbut it would probably be in school from around 5pm on fri to 7.30am onmonday on it's own. Is this too cruel? it would get lots of attentionin the week.Does anyone have any suggestions, I would likesomething that is active in the day that the children can watch/playwith and something small so that it can get most of its exercise in abig cage rather than running around a science lab!!!!!

ps I'm a secondary school teacher so the children are old enough to handle animals properly!

Any suggestions?

parsnipandtoffee wrote:
I don't want to get a bun as I wouldn't be able to giveit the same amount of attention as the boys get at home (sundaymorning cuddles in bed etc) but am unsure what to get.

I think you've just highlighted the maindilemma for any classroom pet: they need attention. Mice, rats, guineapigs, rabbits - they all need daily, one-on-one attention. Theyalso need a fair amount of space and can rack up a lot of money in vetbills. Some might require a companion, and that costs even more money.

Small mammals are nice, but they have a lot of needs that may not befilled in the role of a classroom pet. If anything, I would suggestthat YOU get a pet and then bring it to class with you. That might workbest of all :)

As an aside, I know a second-grade teacher in the UK that got a giantland snail for her class, and they love it :D

One of the classes at the school I teach at hada giant hissing coakroach as a pet. They loved it, but theteacher wasn't very squeamish. I don't think I could'vehandled it.

Maybe a hermit crab? I don't know how much care they require.

I used to have pet mice in my classroom and it was always a pain tofind someone to take care of them on breaks, etc. I wouldn'thave a classroom pet now.

Guppies! The first time I boughtguppies, my mom started telling me about her aunt's classroom petguppies. She taught my mom's second grade class, and my mom's52 and she still remembers those guppies. They're pretty,active, easy to care for, and darn cute!

You could even find a hobby breeder and get true-breedingcolors. If you had multiple tanks, you could do a project oncolor genetics. Or breed wingless fruit flies for their food,and do fruit fly breeding experiments, if the kids are old enough.

My high school biology teacher had us raise quail from eggs.We were supposed to train them and stuff, but she never got around tohaving us do much with them. Some of the previous years hadquail imprinted on the students! I really hated it thoughbecause I asked what happened to our baby quail that weraised. She gave them to another teacher to train hishunting dogs with!:cry1

Jenni wrote:
Oneof the classes at the school I teach at had a giant hissing coakroachas a pet. They loved it, but the teacher wasn't verysqueamish. I don't think I could've handled it.
I kept one of those for a college entomology class! They'reneat, although mine was "defective." She wouldn'thiss. And I was supposed to be studying their foodpreferences and behavior.

Myprof had a breeding colony at home, but I guess they're hard to breed until you find the right conditions.

Thanks guys, lots of different ideas for me to think about.

The school already has some animals, mice, rats, a snake and atarantula so maybe some fish would be good, I like the idea of acockroach or giant african land snail but I'm not sure what my bosswould say.

I'll take all your ideas to him and see what he agrees to.

Robyn x

You might consider a one of those purplefighting fish (I am not sure what they are called). My neicehas some and they don't reguire a filter and a big tank. Theyseem to be pretty hardy.

When I was in elementary school, my friend's 4thgrade teacher kept class frogs all year every year. When the end of theschool year came, everyone in the class fought over who got to keepthem as a pets. (She'd get new ones each year) Every break, they'd alsofight over who got to takethem home. I remember she alwayshad 2 frogs, and they always had the same 2 names every year. (i cantremember the names) The other thing with that is it was never hard forher students to find something to get her as a present. They just gother anything that had a frog on it. I want to be an elementary schoolteacher, and I want something like that for my classroom....a trademarkor a theme. My 7th grade history teacher had those dancing guinea pigsall around her classroom, so her students knew what to get her as apresent.

I'm not sure you can leave a frog alone for the weekend, but I dontthink they require huge amounts of space or cuddling. Don't take me asthe frog expert though :p

Wow...what a nice idea of you to get your kids apet for the classroom. They'll love it. I'm sureyou'll be able to figure out from all these great ideas what you'llget.

I just wanted to tell you what a great teacher I think you are forthinking of that. Not many teachers will get a classpet...but they're always remembered. :)

I had a math teacher that had gerbils, they were her personal pets thatshe brought to school. I'm not sure how she worked out takingcare of them (if she took them home, or came in on the weekend), butthey were wonderful. She paired a male and female together atone point, and they had a litter...and their triplet boys became myfirst (and only, thus far) gerbils. They were wonderful...andsuch a wonderful memory. That math teacher was such awonderful lady. People that love animals so much usuallyare. :)

Not that I would recommend gerbils...I'm not sure how she worked outthem getting the love and attention they obviously got (they were VERYsweet, and obviously very loved). You might be able to workit out, though, if you had them in a kind of cage that's easilytransporable. I don't know completely, though.Maybe someone else that has more gerbil knowledge would be able to tellya. :)

Anyway, thought I'd contribute my story. :)

What about Butterflies? A Few years back, at myElementary one of the classes had the caterpillers, and they studiedthem through their different stages ect then after they turned intoButerflies they let them go outside. They had this huge area coveredwith a net, it was really cool. The butterflies were sort of friendly,and if you put your hand in the net, sometimes they would land on yourhand.

My kindergarten teacher got a turtle as aclassroom pet. His name was Barney. (This was before the purple dino.)Of course it was when my sister was in her class, not me. I know mysister really liked the turtle. Other wise I probalby wouldn't rememberhim. I think it was a painted boxcar turtle.

Ya know...now that I think of it, my daughterhas a class pet that's a water turtle, and they love him!Maybe that would be a good idea. :)

daisy052104 wrote:
My kindergarten teachergot a turtle as a classroom pet. His name was Barney. (This was beforethe purple dino.) Of course it was when my sister was in her class, notme. I know my sister really liked the turtle. Other wise I probalbywouldn't remember him. I think it was a painted boxcar turtle.

What about Butterflies? A Few years back,at my Elementary one of the classes had the caterpillers, and theystudied them through their different stages ect then after they turnedinto Buterflies they let them go outside. They had this huge areacovered with a net, it was really cool. The butterflies were sort offriendly, and if you put your hand in the net, sometimes they wouldland on your hand.

I think this is a great idea. My fiance says that they didthis in his school with giant moths and he has always rememberedit. It would be a really interesting thing to do and teachthe kids a lot.

Oooh, lots of ideas now, thanks

My new head of Science will think he's employed dr dolittle! They'vegot a wildlife area so maybe frogs would be good, but I do like theidea of baby animals. I hatched some chicks this year, it was a littledisruptive to say the least with the constant chirping and hatching inlessons but it was great for the kids (Some didn't even know thatchickens came from eggs!!!!!)

I really like that you all remember the 'school pet' My primary teacherhad goldfish, she was my friends mum and when I won a fish at the fair(not allowed anymore as it's cruel) we took it to school and he livedint he tank so I could see him in class!

The frog suggestion reminded me of my darlingAfrican Dwarf Frogs- they're fully aquatic, live some of my other smallfish, and are so cute! They're about 2 inches long at adultsize. You can get kits where they send you tadpoles of thisspecies and watch them grow. That would be really cool for ascience classroom! I think they also have kits for AfricanClawed Frogs, which are about the size of my hand when they're fullgrown.

my phisics teacher had two degus. they went withhim over the weekend. the degus had a huge home made cage with leavelsand "tunnles" going across the room. he also would put them in bigballs and let them run around the class. everyone loved them

parsnipandtoffee wrote:
I had a look at some toads today and also at some fish,apparantly some tropical fish have live babies so that would be quiteexciting.
Yup! Guppies are a good livebearer. Platies aregood too. Mollies and swordfish get big and probably wouldn'tbe a good idea unless you had a massive tank.

I let my guppies have babies for a little bit when I first got them,but they had more than I was led to believe (and they were in a tiny 5gallon tank) so I put the girls in a different tank. Thebabies are so tiny and so cute though!

Latest posts

Back