A Mess!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awayfade

Reaction score
I turn my rabbits loose into a small animal playpen, at different times of course so each rabbit gets their own personal play time. Anyway my question is I have tried placing blankets underneath the pen to try and keep the urine and feces from seeping to my floor. Well today I bought a tarp and placed it underneath the pen as well as a blanket over the tarp. To make a long story short I ended up with more urine on the floor than any other time, so I had to mop again. I know that they make playpen covers for these cages that are supposed to be excellent for keeping this stuff from contaminating my floor but I can't find one of those things anywhere. None of my rabbits are litter trained so other than litter training can anyone please give me any suggestions of some sort of material that they wouldn't chew that I could place underneath their pen? Any help would greatly be appreciated. :dunnohttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb316/awayfade/Buddy1email.jpg[/img]]http:// This is my male rabbit Buddy. He is the father of Norbit and Thorn.

I've found that fleecy material can work quite well. Generally the urine doesn't seep in too quick so it can be soaked up with a bit of tissue or something if you see it.

My buns won't eat fleece so that works well for my buns.

Have you tried litter training them? Maybe that might be something worth considering.

Thank you very much for the tip Moominmoo. I'll have to try that. I don't really think that I would get too far with litter training because none of my rabbits have been altered. So I realize that the most I can do until I have them fixed is to just cope with the messy clean-ups. My doe Rasfushia may respond well to litter training though; Because she always seems to go in one spot. I guess I might try to litter train but like I said before I don't think it would go very well, because I know rabbits are very territorial when their hormones are surging.

Whislt I acknowledge that it is easier to litter train a fixed bunny, I have 4 unfixed hormonal bunnies that are fully trained apart from the odd poo here and there (in my experience girls seem to be more reliable than guys).

I also have two that have just been fixed that were litter trained before they were fixed, and 7 babies that have learnt a great deal from their mum on litter training.

So it might be worth a try, even if you just manage to get the urine in a litter tray, that would make things much easier to clean up.

Moominmoo wrote:
Whislt I acknowledge that it is easier to litter train a fixed bunny, I have 4 unfixed hormonal bunnies that are fully trained apart from the odd poo here and there (in my experience girls seem to be more reliable than guys).

I also have two that have just been fixed that were litter trained before they were fixed, and 7 babies that have learnt a great deal from their mum on litter training.

So it might be worth a try, even if you just manage to get the urine in a litter tray, that would make things much easier to clean up.

:yeahthat:

I've got 4 unaltered does that are well litter trained.

I used to use a "Neat Sheet" when I would set up they x-pen. It's waterproof and pretty tough. They could still chew on it so I had to keep a eye on the nibblers.

I started out by attaching the pen to their cage....shooing them back into the cage if they peed on the sheet.

I've surrendered to the "I'm-gonna-poop-everywhere"
...but peeing "out-of-the-box" is not tolerated very well.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back