A Lop Ear?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surstarky

Reaction score
So when I got my little Bun, the guy said she would be a lop ear, I really didn't believe him since it was a pet store. I personally didn't mind either way, but after having her 2 weeks I've noticed that her ears are quite to large for her, and now in the past 2 days, her left ear is hanging at like 90degrees, it seems to be aggravating her so I check to see if she had any sort of mites, but I think if there is a possibility that her ears are starting to "lop." So my question is, can baby buns ears start to lop at (this is a guess on her age) 7 weeks? All the pictures that Ive seen of baby lops...their ears are already folded.. Confused!

The degree to which ears drop and the age when they do is dependent on crown development. The crown is the area of cartilage between the ears.

In purebred lop breeds, the ears are usually lopping by about 8 weeks because they are bred for wide crowns. However, rabbits that inherit narrower crowns or most mixed breed lops will lop later because the crown develops slower.

You usually see full crown development by 2 years old. The crown can change slowly over that time.

I just really wonder because she looks like she's really irritated about this, she keeps pulling at it and itching it. The inside of her ear is really clean and pink, is it normal for the "change" to be aggravating at first? Ill give some pics to show whats going on.

LBun.jpg

LBun2.jpg

Thanks for the praise on my bun. She's a sweetie, she follows me around whenever I come in her room, and enjoys eating my hair when I lay in the floor to snuggle her.

Does anyone have an opinion on when her other ear will drop, or is there a chance she will be a one ear up and one ear lopped? Haha I feel bad for her lack of balance so to speak right now!

If she is a lop mix, then she could have both ears lopped, one ear lopped, both out to the side, one out to the side or both upright. I know a rabbit who has one up and one down and her brother has both down.
She is still young, so you won't know until she is a bit older. Based on what she has now, she will probably have at least 1 lopped, but the other could stay up.

She looks to be around 8-10 weeks. Her floppy ear will most likely stay lopped, she may have control over the other one even as an adult.

Back