a little off the subject. just need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c101900

Reaction score
i dont really trust chat rooms and i am a memberhere so i thought id ask all of you. the people i trust to give me somehonest answers. heres the truth and its kinda personal. i am 22 yearsold. my husband is 21. we have three children, 6 rabbits, a bird, andfour fish. yes we have a large family im sure everyone knows theanimals are children too. anyway. my husband has an excellent job. andhe usually brings home plenty of money to support all of us but latelyhe hasnt been able to get many hours in. so my question to all of you,friends, is does anyone know a quick and LEGAL way to make a littleextra cash under the table. i would get a job myself but i would haveto spend my whole paycheck on daycare and that would just be a waste ofmy time.if there is anyone who can help me please put your two centsin. its really important right now for my bigfamily.thank you

Having been audited twice by the IRS for unclaimed income, I highly recommend going legit *over* the table!

However, I also feel that what you do is your own business and my lips are sealed!

Babysitting can bring in some extra cash, selling some of yourbelongings on ebay, cutting back on expenses. Involve thekids in budgeting, so they understand why you have to say no to somepurchases. Even very young children can understand theseconcepts.

How about errand running, house cleaning or a taxi service for olderpersons in your area? Now is also a good time of the year todo yard work and you can bring the kids with you. How aboutpart-timingand working with another mom to tradebabysitting? Any stables near you? This is alsoanother opportunity to bring the kids along while you clean stalls anddo grooming. Newspaper delivery or how about the local paperneeding a part time reporter?

Pam

I did babysitting for 4 yrs and got paid cash soi didnt have to pay taxes on it you may wanna try that not sure if yourkids are older but it was eaiser when i only had 2 kids here and myolder one was in school....good luck to you

I worked in local shops and bars which paid mecash in hand when I was younger. I know this may not beviable because I don't know American laws, it's not legal in the UKeither, it just wasn't worth me working if I paid the amount of tax Iwas supposed to, it was only 25 quid a week. Also you'd haveto get a babysitter or something arranged.

Work out your income and expenditure then go to the US version of theCitizens Advice Beaureau, I don't know if you have one... But if youdo, they should help you with advice on who to turn to for financialadvice. See what you can cut back on and buy in bulk, i.e.kitchen paper, toilet roll, tins, stuff you can keep that you'd usuallybuy just one or two of but will last for ages. If you haveany credit cards, switch to lower interest rate ones, check on yourbank account and see if there are any other accounts available whichgive you a better interest rate so your money works for you instead ofthe other way round.

I've been in alot of financial messes in the past and budgeting isincredibly difficult for me, but I'm getting better and hopefully*fingerscrossed*I'm now getting out ofit. :?

bluebird, I'm right there with you. 4kids, 4 rabbits, a guinea pig, three dogs and 2 cats later with me notworking is hard on us too. My husband got a "promotion" tosales from the warehouse and only got a 4 dollar raise, meaning hemakes four dollars more a paycheck than before. He issupposed to go on commission, but it's been a few months and thathasn't happened yet! I know how you are feeling...I even went to schoolfor medical transcription to work from home, and I can't gethired. I am contemplating going back to school just so we canget my GI Bill for extra cash!!!

Hang in there...Pam has some excellent ideas. I may try some myself.

Dawn

thank you everyone. they are great ideas. ialready buy in bulk and i asked three people if they were interested inletting me babysit because i am considerably closer then their otherbabysitters but they didnt want to switch. i also offered to work forless but they still said no and these are people that i am close to. mychildren are only three two and one year old. theyre barely able tocount to twenty yet so including them in the budget is not an option atthe moment. anyway we dont buy them anything they dont need unless itslike 50 cents on clearance ya know? our everyday stuff is not theproblem. its mostly our gas electric water and loan that are rippingright into us at the moment. were usually caught up but the past coupleweeks alone has put us behind so far that it will take about a month toget caught back up if were lucky. i buy the most cheap generic stuff ican but with a family of my size its difficult to use things sparinglyya know? i dont know what to do. i guess my plan is to have a yard saleand try to find a couple odds and ins jobs. its really hardfor me to make money for our family with the long hours that my husbandworks. he gets up at four in the morning and doesnt come home until5:30 at night. then he goes to sleep right after dinner and if hesgoing to be falling asleep on the kids well i cant get an evening joblets just put it that way. well make it through this one way oranother. i just have trouble settling. well thank you all for your helpand i will keep those ideas in mind. god bless.

Is there any way you can get a part time job thatis a different shift than your husband? Iunderstand that it's much harder with very young children, and youroptions are limited. It seems like the prices of everythingcontinue to go up -- but wages stay the same.

I would continue to pursue the babysitting jobs and advertise in thepaper. Keep pushing and looking, something has to come alongsoon! You could also advertise to do some lawn cleanup andleaf raking as well as helping someone do winterizing. Do youwallpaper or paint? Might be an option on theweekends.

It seems as though we are *punished* for being stay-at-homemoms. Our family motto is "only the cheapest for the Nockfamily". Fun to joke about - but verytrue. Our oldest son still lives at home and feeding a familyof 6 isn't cheap. My 16 year old daughter got a jobwaitressing and my 14 year old son mows lawns, delivers newspapers andworks a couple days a week at the local hardware store. Welive right in a little tourist town, and unfortunately any local jobopportunities "dry up" in the winter. My husband commutes outof state to work. My son has a good job as a machinist, yetstill can't afford to move out on his own. Judging rabbitsbrings in some extra money to pay the high property and school taxesout here --and helps withthe $2000 in homeschoolingmaterials I spend every year to keep my kids *out* of the school we payso much for.

Don't know what the answers are, except things have a funny way ofworking themselves out. Hopefully, everyone will continue togive you some good ideas, and something will work out soon.We will keep you in our thoughts and please keep us updated.

Pam

c101900,

I have little to add other than my support. Everyone's suggestions aregreat, and I think you're wise to be careful in chatrooms.

I used to make good money when I hooked up with a caterer. I'd workcocktail parties, and either bake-off and make hors d'oeuvres and servethem or I'd bartend the parties. Being cocktail parties, I could getthere around 4:30 and be back home by 8-8:30. I started as a waitressfor a woman that catered and once I got in that circle, I had to startturning jobs down.

I'm with Pam about being over the table, but my lips are sealed as well. As she said, it's your business.

Some people pay people to just stand in line, like at the DMV or for aconcert. Detailing a car is another thing you could do. (By detailing,I mean giving it a spit-spot cleaning, vacuuming, wax, etc.)

What about typing for people? Teachers needing to get comments in,students needing term papers done all hire people for that around hereas well. Schools hire people to give SATs to kids. Don't know whenthey're taken, but you just have to make sure they don't cheat.

I know a woman that, by herself, raised four young children by bakingbread and shipping it off to a company in the mornings that would sendit to down to New York.

Will keep you in my thoughts.

-Carolyn

I baby sat part time it brings in extra money.youcould advertise in one of those little free papers i did and i got ajob taking care of an elderly lady on saturdays.bluebird

hmm... dunno if you found something yet... butwhat about applying at daycare places, both chains and the smallerplaces. Usually you can bring your children and they can gointo the classes while you assist or do whatever. A friend ofmine, single mom got a job at a local daycare and she got free daycarewhile she worked. Sure the pay probably is stinky, but betterthen nothing...

Goodness knows I need a job myself :(Graduated in May with aBA in Psychology... sent out over 100 resumes and get rejections everyweek. If I hear anything at all. I am going to haveto get a crappy job, but boy, it is really depressing to Have a 4yeardegree you workedyour arseoff for,and endup working at the local grocery store. but the bunnies haveto eat! And my fiance cant budget to save his life!

I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. Money is important especially with young kids, since everything costs so much.

Latest posts

Back