A Little Mishap

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadedHippos

Reaction score
Earlier today, while getting back into her cage, Trinket, slipped and caught one of her claws on the ramp of her hutch. I guess it pulled it away from the skin enough to make it bleed. It wasn't a lot, but obviously, like most people, a drop of blood is enough to concern me.

I cleaned her paw with a damp rag and she's laying in her hutch now. She is acting fine, but my question is, should I put any type of medication on it? I've never personally owned a bunny before so I'm not sure if a triple antibiotic, or anything else will be harmful to her. There's no wound, scrape, gash or anything... but better safe than sorry.

Thanks,
Kristen.

I think what you have done is enough
don't worry about it as long as you wiped it with a wet cloth ;

if you want you can apply a little plain neosporin but probably is not necessary

Well, I went to get Trinket back out of her cage, and found that she was bleeding again. This time, I was able to find that when she had caught her nail on her ramp earlier today, she ripped the nail right up to the quick. I ran some water over her foot, cut off the hanging nail, and applied some cornstarch to the kwik. She is now back in her hutch, sleeping soundly. Thankfully this wasn't a more serious problem, and I was able to figure out what was wrong and take care of it. =D

Woody my lop jumped off the table whileI was clipping his nails. He broke one of nails. Similiar to what you rabbit did to her nail. I thought at first he broke his leg. It bothered him for a day or two but he was fine. He took care of it himself.I just monitored him for any swelling.

Yep, it happens. Cornstarch is good to stop bleeding. However if you want to use triple antibiotic, make sure it doesn't have pain killers in it--those are bad for rabbits.

Latest posts

Back