A Little Bragging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
I'll start with the brag and then share the data. I know not everyone is interested in crunching numbers and data like I am. :)

Background information:

In Florida, students take the state standardized test every year from 3rd grade to 10th grade. The test they take in 3rd grade determines whether they pass the 3rd grade. They need the minimum basic reading skills to go on. The test they take in 10th grade determines whether they graduate in 12th grade or not.

The test is scored from Level 1 to Level 5. Minimum basic skills is considered to be a level 2 or higher.

Brag:

My daughter (lillyen8) made a Level 5 in the area of Reading and a Level 4 in the area of Math. She's number three in Reading out of the grade level and number fourteen in Math out of the grade level. I am very very proud of my little girl!!!!

Now for the data:

Here's my class data for last year.

scores2007-2008.jpg

Crunching it down:

Reading:
Level 3 and Above: 56%
Level 1: 22%
Level 2: 22%
Level 3: 30%
Level 4: 22%
Level 5: 4%

Math:
Level 3 and Above: 55%
Level 1: 15%
Level 2: 30%
Level 3: 33%
Level 4: 15%
Level 5: 7%

My scores for this year:

scores2008-2009.jpg

and the crunch:

Reading:
Level 3 and Above: 73%
Level 1: 17%
Level 2: 11%
Level 3: 28%
Level 4: 39%
Level 5: 6%

Math:
Level 3 and Above: 67%
Level 1: 22%
Level 2: 11%
Level 3: 33%
Level 4: 28%
Level 5: 6%

I increased my level 4 students in both areas, and increased reading by 17% and increased math by 12%

I didn't teach the math curriculum last year. I had a co-teacher doing it up until the last month of the school year. I'm hoping to see more gains in math next year now that I've taught it for a year.
admin.php?user_id=9625&edit_user=1

OH! I also wanted to mention that Student E came to me this year reading at a 1.8 (first grade, eighth month). His test on last Friday shows that he is now reading on a 3.0 (3rd grade, beginning level). It's not enough to pass a 3rd grade test given in March (the 7th month of school), but it still is growth!

Student L came to me reading at 2.4 and moved to a 3.2
Student M came to me reading at 2.2 and moved to a 3.9

They are growing...just didn't have enough to pass the test at that point.

I was one of the people who graded the FL math test this year. I won't say any more than that but it was interesting. Sometimes the kids didn't even want to take the test and would write some crazy answers. And, least it broke up the monotony of staring at the computer screen for about five hours a night.

And can you believe that the money our school receives, and any bonus money we MAY be eligible for (which I am not this year because the new principal decided that I wasn't Highly Performing in the only area it was available this year---parent contact), is all based on that one test and how well the students perform on it. One test, over one week, in 4 sections, with all the high stress and pressure they can smash into it.

Congratulations on the numbers...I watch my teachers tense up this time of year as they hope their students perform well, as hope the high school NYS Regents tests are fair...one year the Math B was exceptionally difficult and if I recall, there was a retest.

Denise

The kids either got the concept or didn't get the concept. Some look like they did but did not write down all the work they did to justify their answers. Many lost points because they got one part correct with all the work written down and the other part was just the answer with no work. I believe they were allowed to use a calculator.

Latest posts

Back