A jumpy bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomapfel

Reaction score
How can I help my new baby adjust to my apartment easier? She seems to be having fun sniffing around, but she is still very skiddish. She will sit in your lap if you pick her up, and she likes exploring or sitting in her "spots", but it's picking her up or just like moving around that startles her.

I know the breed is a little jumpy to begin with, but I just want to make it easier for her. Any suggestions?

Just sit down mind your own business and let the rabbit come to you, you will soon find that the rabbit is very interested in what your doing.

Bunnies are all in general jumpy. Because they are a prey species, they are easy to startle, especially with swift movements and loud noises. Granted, with time (months to years) she will become more comfortable with the kinds of noises and movements that people make, but it may take quite a while. The best things to do are to move slowly and quietly around her. I think it's great that having bunnies makes you slow down a little and be more relaxed.

Make sure there are places she can hide, like boxes to sit in, furniture to hide under, etc. You can get little tents made from willow, hay, or cloth for her to hide in. My bunnies love to hide in this one spot--we had a futon there and they would sit under it all day. Now we have a table there with some boxes underneath and it provides enough cover for them to be happy.

She also may enjoy being up higher so she can see "threats" better. My bf's bunnies like to sit on top of a small rolling suitcase (sat the flat way down) that's on our bedroom floor, and when we have them in the main room they prefer to sit on the back of the sofa rather than on the seat. These two little nethies (like your girl) like being up high so they can see better, rather than sitting on the floor.

The #1 thing to do is to make her feel comfortable with you and all the people that live with you. Sit calmly on the floor reading a book or watching tv and let her come to you. Don't pick her up all the time--most bunnies really don't like being picked up and get upset. Only pick her up when you have to or when you want to cuddle with her. It can also be fun for both of you to cuddle with the bunny's 4 feet on the ground. Many of the bunnies I socialize at the shelter do not like being picked up and held at all, but will melt into the floor with happiness when you sit next to them and pet them. It can take a while to gain a bunny's trust, but that makes it even more worthwhile to have.

There is also a library article on "bonding with your bunny" that might be helpful.

Good luck!

paul2641 wrote:
Just sit down mind your own business and let the rabbit come to you, you will soon find that the rabbit is very interested in what your doing.

That is the approach I've been taking, just sitting and doing my homework. She seems to be curious, but my roommate will chase her around to try and pick her up. I've told her not to, but I doubt she will listen

I've also built her a little box house that she seems to enjoy hiding in, but about elevating her, I'm a little lost. She is too small, and our furniture is too big unfortunately.

My Kirby is still a very skiddish bunny and he's over 2 years old. He jumps and runs away at the slightest unfamiliar noise. He's been hilariously known to be in the midst of happily eating a piece of lettuce -- then a noise from somewhere in the busy streets of the city -- and next thing you know the lettuce is on the floor, the bunny is hiding in a box. I know he is learning to love me, but same thing as yours: he doesn't like to be held, he doesn't even like me sitting next to him as he will generally get up and walk away. If I sit near him on the floor, he will come over and sniff me out. Sometimes demand to be pet. But he likes to be the boss of the touching initiation!

I will say this. I have broken down several times and tried to catch him and hold him for longer than he was comfortable with. He was very upset with me and generally ignored me for over a day after the event. I don't recommend it :)

All things considered, in our 2 months together he has made great strides, and so will your bunny. You just have to spend a lot of time calmly being in the same space as her. The quieter the better, but I would recommend talking calmly to her so she gets to know your voice and how you look. Keep her life as routine as possible in the adjustment period and she will soon learn that you coming in = food is coming! Let her sit in her spots and I wouldn't try to coax her out of them. As soon as she is comfortable in her little spot, she will find more places to be comfortable in... It may take a few weeks if she is anything like my Kirby, but she'll get there.

Explain to your roommate the perils of being a rabbit. Limit holding your rabbit to once every couple of days or less if you can manage. Or alternate days with your roommate. She will thank you both for it. If one of you treats her right and the other not so much, I guarantee she'll bond with you more strongly. Kirby likes me more than my husband :cool:

My one rabbit Shadow is like that. She is not a big fan of holding or petting at all, the only person who she lets pick her up is my brother. She also has a box, and enjoys hiding in it as well.

Fiona, who we have had only for about 2ish months, has just started to come out of her shell. Only now is she letting me approach her to pet her and pick her up.

OH! I know to get Echo and Fiona to come racing towards me, all I have to do is shake the crasin bag, so there's a little tip;)

I have just been sitting on the floor, doing homework, and even now she comes up and sniffs me every once in a while. She likes to site behind her cage near the heater and just duck it out over there.

The only time I've been picking her up is when I need to put her in her cage which is before I go to bed and I pick her up out of cage and put her on the floor.

What kind of cage does she have? If the door is such that she can get in and out on her own, it's best if she comes and goes on her own terms :)

Your bun is a cutie. Aren't Netherlands just adorable?

I'd encourage you to keep trying to handle her, but as everyone has said...go slowly. It's really important for their health that you are able to pick up your bun on a regular basisso you cantrim her nails andcheck her over. Since buns don't usually show signs of illnesses until they are very, very ill, its up to us bunny parents to be on the look out for anything suspicious!

But having said that, she might not ever be a super-cuddle bun. For one thing, Nethies are very energetic ;). If you're holding her, she might think you're trying to slow her down, and she has important bunny things to do!! If you can at least get her to the point where you can pet her all over while she is sitting beside you, then you can keep an eye on her weight and general health.

I would really force the "don't chase the rabbit" thing with your friend until they get it. It's not good to "torment" your pet. It will make the skittishness worse and make it harder for you to bond with your bunny.

I have two rabbits, one who is pretty bold and doesn't run away unless we are playing, and the other, who is afraid of her own shadow. Emma, the scaredy-bun, is pretty new, but she hides under our bed and high-tails it away it you come within ten feet of her. What I've been doing to get her used to me is sit on the floor and type on the laptop. I've also just laid on the floor (on my stomach) and read. She will come investigate me and what I'm doing, and she has even jumped up on my back before!

I also hand-feed them their veggies in the evening. I take a hold of the best-looking romaine lettuce that's in the bowl and I hold it out for her to come get. Once she starts nibbling, I hold onto the lettuce tightly so she has to eat it with my hand near her. Once she is settled in, I try to pet her. She normally runs away, but she comes back for more lettuce. I have heard that "forcing" rabbits to come near you helps them get used to you.

Neither of my rabbits like to be held or picked up. They both will kick and scratch the heck out of you until they are put back down. My bolder rabbit, Toby, will come up to me when he wants to be pet. He will jump up on the bed and even nibble at my fingers while I am sleeping!

With buns, patience is a virtue. Sometimes, it can take months for a rabbit to get used to its surroundings. It can take even longer for them to get used to their caretakers!

Thank you all so much for the tips. I really appreciate it! I have just been doing what I think is best, meaning I lay on the floor and watch her while doing my homework. I let her come to me, and she just comes and boldly sniffs my toes or my text books.

I sat my roommate down, and told her firmly that she CANNOT chase the bunny. She's stopped, but I think the bunny is more attracted me my calm and slow approach than my roommates nervous, wanting to pet her and such.

Her cage is just a My First Home cage. She comes out herself now, but she doesn't seem to mind me putting my hand in, waiting a few seconds (maybe giving a pat on her back), and then bringing her out of the cage. She'll immediately start sniffing all over and picking up her paper tubes and tossing them about.

She loves sniffing and running around the living room though, and she's so adorable when she wears herself out exploring and sits like a little duck. She kinda partially falls asleep, then will flop on her side (like a cat).

I need to figure out a good Pellet to feed her. I don't think the ones that I got her are for baby bunnies.

phantomapfel wrote:
She kinda partially falls asleep, then will flop on her side (like a cat).

AWWW, bunny flop! That is a sure sign of a comfortable, contented bun.

It sounds like you two are doing great together, since she lets you take her out of the cage and all. She trusts you :)

phantomapfel wrote:
I need to figure out a good Pellet to feed her. I don't think the ones that I got her are for baby bunnies.
What kind of food are you feeding? How old is your rabbit again? Bunnies can be fed the alfalfa based pellets until they are about six months old, if I remember correctly. :)I feed my bunnies Oxbow "Bunny Basics Timothy" (BBT) with some Sunseed "Vita Rabbit" mixed in. I had a huge bag of the Sunseed, so I am trying to get rid of it! ;) I like Oxbow, but some people on the forum have had issues with it not being available to them all the time, dusty batches, etc. Being that I only have two rabbits (both under five pounds), it takes me awhile to go through one little bag. They are a tad pricey sometimes, too. I hope that helps! :D

The Oxbow pellet for baby bunnies (alfalfa-based) is called 15/23. There are some other good alfalfa pellets, but they are sold at feed stores in HUGE bags usually, and with just one tiny bunny you'd never finish it. Some stores do sell rabbit food by the pound. Purina Hi-Fiber Lab diet and the green bag stuff are good alfalfa pellets as well.

I was feeding her a brand that came with the bunny home called Fiesta, but I knew when I pulled it out of the box that it wasn't right. Unfortunately I couldn't get to a store until tomorrow. She's only been eating it for 4 days, and I only gave her a little. She's been eating mostly hay and I gave her some carrots/broccoli.

We just went through our first nail clipping, and it was a breeze. I had to wrap her, but as soon as she was settled between my legs in her blanket she was good. I had some trouble with her pulling her paw away, it scared me a little because I was afraid I would clip too far up, but she will sit in my lap calmly and eat a carrot or two (baby carrots) or brush her.

I got some good suggestions on pellets, thanks everyone!

<3 Melody/Atia

phantomapfel wrote:
she's so adorable when she wears herself out exploring and sits like a little duck. She kinda partially falls asleep, then will flop on her side (like a cat).
I love the bunny flop! *Thud* and they're suddenly lying down :D

Sitting like a duck/chicken with no visible feet is so cute too. Sounds like your bunny's definitely happy.

Latest posts

Back