A housing question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit Lover02

Reaction score
Hi, I think I might be getting my rabbits next saturday :jumpforjoy: and I have a housing question.

I Already have their hutches built (outside) and I was wondering. Do rabbits need a shelter inside of the hutch?

I see no one has responded yet...
I think many of us (most??) have indoor bunnies. The breeders on here often have outdoor housing.
I'm just not sure what you mean by a shelter inside their hutch.

Not sure if this is helpful, but maybe you can see how a number of these outdoor set-ups were arranged inside.
[FONT=&quot]http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-fame/[/FONT]

You don't really need a shelter inside a hutch as long as it's built and in a location where the rabbit is protected from sun/cold wind/rain.

I small box is usually ideal. As previously stated, somewhere they can shelter from the weather and feel safe. Some cages already have them built into the cage, if not then any box should do it. Even a cardboard box with hay in it, generally with a small opening.

I would say a definite yes. My outdoor hutch has a built in shelter, so 1/3 of the hutch is timber all around, and the other 2/3 have the wire mesh. Will help your bun feel secure and gives them a place to hide if they get scared.

@Blue eyes. I am going to be breeding rabbits, so yes they are outiside. Ok, I'll look at the link.

@Majorv. They are around some trees, the it will already have some blocking from the wind. Plus it keeps them kinda shaded too.

@Watermelons. I don't have a pic of my hutch cause my camera's battery went dead and I can't find the charger. I haven't bought a charger yet and didn't get any pics on my camera before it went dead.

@todd28. My grandpa is going ahead and building me a nesting box for each rabbit, so it will be basically a small box.

@Nancy McClelland. Thanks for posting your oppinion.

@Azerane. Sounds like your hutch a bigger than mine.

Thank you all for posting...

You might consider getting some shadecloth to hang around the outside. You can get it at a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's. It's porous and allows the wind through but helps to keep the rabbits from getting wet if rain is coming in at an angle. It definitely helps when the weather gets cooler, too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Gardener-6-ft-x-50-ft-Saddle-Tan-Sun-Screen-72050/100547451

We use the tan shade, and you can get it shorter lengths.

Latest posts

Back