A hidding place

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
My rabbit's cage is located in open spot, and Iam not sure where I can move him, so the cage will be in the corner. Idon't think he likes open space because he feels there is nowhere tohide.
I was wondering if I can make walls on one side of his cage, so he'll think he is in the corner and he can hide there.
Is it better to put a little box inside the cage or make walls out ofcardboard on the outside of the cage(to make kind of a corner)?
Also is it bad that he is always on the wire, should I make a floor for him at least in one corner?

If the cage is large enough, a little box would donicely. Bun on the wire depends upon size/type of bun andwire. Standard 1/2" x 1" usually not a problem for most bunsunless they are large/heavy and/or rex, which tend to have relativelyuncushioned feet. Plastic grids are sold expressly for thepurpose of being resting board. Not as sanitary, perhaps, butI use cloth place mats purchased at yard sales, which can be discardedif and when they become soiled. Permits bun to have a"blankie." LOL

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001 http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001

Buck

can I use cardboard as a resting place? or if I put a box inside a cage should it have a cardboard bottom?

Sure, that would work! Much of rabbit keeping is not rocketscience, but mere common sense. Try putting cardboard on thefloor of the box. If, for some reason(s), if doesn't seem tobe working, eliminate same.

Buck

:)Yes, he is much more affectionate. He likeswhen I pet him, he closes his eyes a little and does not hide. He wasvery playful yesterday, he throws his paper roll around. I think hemissed me.
He does not come out of the cage yet, but looks outside every time he walks by.So maybe soon.

AnnaS wrote:
Should I also give him a piece of wood to chew on?
and if yes, what kind of wood can it be?

"Rabbits love nibbling on twigs and those with buds and tender shoootsare a particular delicacy. You can collect twigs and branchesfrom many fruit trees and practically all deciduous trees andbushes: apple, birch, blackberry, fir trees, hazel, hawthorn,maple, pear, raspberry, spruce trees, and willow. Avoidacacia, apricot, azalea, beech, box, cherry, some clematis species,elder, holly, ivy, laburnum, mistletoe, nux vomica, oak,oleander,peach, periwinkle, plum, privet, rhodeodendron, rosewood,snowberry, spindleberry, thorn apple, waxplant,wisteris, yew, and mostevergreen trees and shrubs." page 20; The really usefulBUNNY GUIDE, Carolina James, Kingdom Books(tfh), 1997

Buck

Sounds like you're little one is getting ready to venture out, AnnaS. :)

I also give my rabbits apple wood to chew on, and I providethem with beds. Tucker, I never have to worry about, butsometimes Fauna can be a bed wetter. I have to keep an eye onher.

You might wish to check out the following website. It liststypes of wood, etc., that are safe or unsafe for your rabbit.

Safe Foods for Rabbits:http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

-Carolyn

Thanks a lot, its very helpful
But how do I cut his nails, if he does not come out of the cage? I think they were not cut for a long time.

Made a hidding place out of a box for him yesterday. It became kinda crowded in his cage.
First he sniffed it, then he ripped paper off it. Then he startedjumping in and out of it. After that he got bored with it and tried topush it out of his cage. He threw it around until I tied it up to thewall of the cage.
Today at 7 in the morning he decided he needs to turn over his litter box and make a lot of noise.

He is a lot of fun.

Not only is he a lot of fun, he sounds like he's having a lot of fun, AnnaS.

-Carolyn

Back