A hello and a few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
Hi! I haven't been on here in a couple months :(. Mostly because Harvey has been an excellent bunny *knock on wood* :D! I hope everyone's buns are well!

I have a couple of questions. I have been meaning to ask...

1) I lost my bunny nail clippers about a month ago. Now Harvey's nails SERIOUSLY need to be done. I have to go buy some clippers ASAP. What are the best kind to get? I bought my now lost clippers at the pet store when I got my first bunny, and wasn't completely bunny savvy. If you could share what works for you that would be great!

2) Whenever Harvey gets up from sitting down, he seriously stretches his back legs for about 25 seconds. Is this normal?

3) I feed my horses alfalfa cubes. I read that alfalfa in very small quantities occasionally is healthy for an adult rabbit. I was curious to whether anyone knows if alfalfa cubes meant for horses are safe for rabbits?

4) I was reading about bunnies choking on pellets. Does anyone wet their pellets so that the risk of choking is decreased?

Thanks so much for reading :)

You can use cat nail clippers, they are the same as the rabbit ones but probably cheaper. I use dog ones, but I have dogs and don't like the little fiddly clippers. If the ones you had worked for you, then you could probably get the same ones again.

I would assume so. A good stretch after a nap does feel good.

They can be a good treat, but don't replace loose hay. Not all rabbits can handle alfalfa, but if yours can then it shouldn't be an issue. Limit them to a small amount a week. If you can get the timothy/alfalfa ones or even the strait timothy it would be better, but as a treat if probably doesn't matter.

I don't know exactly what causes a rabbit to choke on pellets, so I can't really help with that. I think it might be more do to with them eating too fast, or might not be able to chew them properly. If your rabbit doesn't have issues eating pellets, then I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the answers!

In no way would his free choice timothy hay be substituted. Alfalfa would be something I'd give him once in a blue moon...

MATH wrote:
2) Whenever Harvey gets up from sitting down, he seriously stretches his back legs for about 25 seconds. Is this normal?

Thanks so much for reading :)
roxy is one for stretching - she puts her tail in the air andbends her back until her head it touching it. she then leans forward and stretches her back legs. both are accompanied by an enormous yawn. in five years i've never been able to film it! :X

I use the little scissor clippers made for cats. It really comes down to what you're most comfortable with though.

Latest posts

Back