A hay question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
I am expounding (did I use that right?) on my earlier post. I asked how to choose good hay. We actually grow coastal bermuda hay, although this year we never got it cut (long story short, the guy we hired to do it never got around to it), therefore, it isn't even fertilized. My questions...CanI just pull some and give it to the rabbits? I can't put big Bubba in my enclosure on the grass, because he is an escape artist. I will have to build a higher one (like 8ft!:shock:).

I mentioned in my earlier post that none of the buns are eating the hay that I got for them (it is coastal bermuda, which is a grass hay). The hay looks more like straw. Does anyone know what coastal is supposed to look like fresh cut? I know how it is supposed to smell, which this hay was fine, just dry looking. The nearest Petco is 70 some-odd miles away, and anyway I have gotten really rotten Timothy hay from them.????I got this bale from our feed store.

It's really hot here, and I think the heat has a lot do do with their not eating (pellets are going slower too). Water intake and peeing and pooping are going well. I'm just worried about the hay intake and quality. I'm still a newbie,even though Iam learning through ya'll and through the books I've read. I just can't find anything about quality coastal except for ads!

Ya'll are great, I shouldn't have stayed away as long as I did, but with four kids, three dogs, four buns, and two cats....I have very busy days!!!!

Well, I've gone on long enough....can ya'll tell I spend my long days with children and animals? I'm starved for adult conversation!!!:D

Thanks,

Dawn
PS HankHanky...thanks for responding tomy other post. I don't think I really posed my question right. I'm not really sure I did in this post either. But thanks for your info...I appreciate it all!!!

Hi Dawn

Sorry I don't know anything about American hay and I'm new at this too,but I can buy three different types of hay for rabbits in my area (all unnamed) and there's only one they really tuck into, which is much smaller and finer than the other two types, and it looks greener. The other stuff they'll eat but you can almost see them protesting - I had to try different sorts when the nice one was out of stock. They seem to eat it a bit better if it's cut smaller though. Fussy rabbits:)Probably doesn't help you much :?I hope some of the more knowledgeable people on the forum can give you a better answer about your hay.

Is that one of your rabbits on your avatar?

Kate

timothy hay is the best for your bun do you have a walmart or a grocery store around you? if not then you might look up hay in the new paper try to find strait timothy, and just buy one bale.and because it is so hot i would freeze a couple of bottles and then stick one in your buns cage with a cloth around it to keep him./her from geting heat stroke.

hope this helps

sara

Kate, Thanks for answering. I can only get alfalfa or coastal around here at the feed stores:(. My buns really like the Timothy, but it's just too hard to get it!

That is my Ella in the avatar. She's my sweet baby, although she's pretty mad at me at the moment...I'm not allowing her in the bathroom anymore (it's not rabbit proofed anymore). And a few weeks after the last time I was still finding little presents allover! My those things just don't want to go away.Here are my other babies. The californians are Jenna and Lexi(Jenna is the one on top) and my big boy Bubba, he's a Flemish Giant! He's my cuddle bunny (he's the only one that likes to be held and cuddled)!

Dawn

Sara,

Thanks for answering...unfortunatelytimothy hay is only sold inthe pet stores which are about 70+ miles away from me and it is Kaytee brand, small bags, and it is all pretty nasty...moldy, smells funny etc. The buns do have their water bottles actually gallon jugs for the heat, and I've added a fan. At least today is a bit cooler maybe 92 degrees. They have all been bred in Texas and raised outside. I think they have it a lot better here than at the breeders, they are a lot more spoiled.:p

Thanks,

Dawn

You've got some lovely rabbits there, those girls are sweet and I was just admiring Bubba on another thread, he is so beautiful. I'm guessing again but if coastal hay is what rabbits eat round your area then if it were me I'd stick with that unless there was a really good mail order service.It mustsurely be better they get fresh stuff even if it isn't ideal than stale mouldy stuff. Wild rabbits round here eat the hay crops as they're growing. If yours was ready to harvest I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be fine for your rabbits, but that's just my personal (English) opinion:)and I'm no kind of expert :?

dmmcnair,

I know what you mean about the coastal bermuda since that is what I always fed my horses back when I was still in northwest FL. I think Timothy and Bermuda though are quite similar in nutrition content so that shouldn't be a problem. I would tryan earlyharvest for the buns while it is still somewhat green(not let it dry like you would for horses) and see if that encourages them to eat a little more of it. Even then they may not likeit as much because it is thicker (possibly harder to chew?) than the Timothy would be. I've heard a lot of compliments on these boards about Oxbow as well... maybe trying to order a bag from them would work? Found this link to order hay on their websitehttp://www.oxbowhay.com/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=35&cat=41.Might be worth a try once and then if it's moldy, etc... you'll at least know.

-Cheryl

PS- All of your buns are just gorgeous!

Hi Dawn,

try feedingwhole or Rolled Oats. There is a bit more fiber in the whole Oats but either will do and most rabbit can't resist Oats. As long as the rabbit is drinking I would not be too extremely concerned.You say the GI system is in proper working order, that it the main concern. If it is extremely hot your rabbit will drastically cut his/her food intake. so long as they're not losing condition your home-free. If Alfalfa is all the rabbit will eat than I would use it.since the pellet intake is to a minimum I don't think it's a problem.As long as the rabbit is eating something the system will remain in operation. It's when they stop eating altogether that the Digestive system shuts down and the problems begin. I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Latest posts

Back