A good grooming brush for Satin Rabbits.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Chopper

Chopper
Reaction score
Hi I just recently joined this forum because I do know quite a bit about rabbits and how to do most things in 'general' but there are still a lot of things I need to learn, one thing is a good brush for my Satin rabbits Kaku and Chopper. I am trying to find a better brush than the one I have it just feels like it's not picking any of the hair up and is just gliding across their fur. Now I am gonna say right off the bat I am not looking for the cheapest brush I rather pay for a good high quality brush than a quick fix of course I don't wanna pay for one of those 200$ brushes.
So if you have any recommendations on some good brushes for Satin rabbits I would very much appreciate it.

http://prntscr.com/a3gab3

The Hair Buster is one that is commonly recommended, I believe it was designed for rabbits. I've never used it because it's very expensive to ship to Australia. It's available from the binky bunny shop: https://store.binkybunny.com/hairbuster-p116.aspx

I use one that's kind of like a long-toothed curry comb. Or the kong zoom groom with lots of fine bristles. I find that the rubbery/silicone bristles really collect the fur well without being rough.

I don't own satin rabbits, but I've had rabbits with long and thick fur and they all hated brushes (turned around and tried to throw them or flee whenever it came near them). Moreover, brushes all seemed pretty uneffective and those with metal teeth (like the furminator - which I own for my dog and works great) can hurt the rabbit's skin if you're not very careful. After almost 7 years of owning rabbits I came to the conclusion that nothing works like petting your rabbit with slightly damp hands. It helps removing dead hair and rabbits tend to not mind it as they would a brush / comb. It's cheap too, so I would try that first XD

After almost 7 years of owning rabbits I came to the conclusion that nothing works like petting your rabbit with slightly damp hands. It helps removing dead hair and rabbits tend to not mind it as they would a brush / comb.

Another good tip...I would have never thought of this!!

Since rabbits like to groom each other by gently pulling on the other's hair with their teeth, I often gently pull my rabbits neck and back air with my fingers. They seem to like it and will often make rabbit purring sounds. I've also used opportunities like this to gently pull out shedding hair. With my really friendly rabbit, when I lay on the floor next to her and do this, when I decide to finish, she will jump up and do the same to me with the hair on my head...pulling the hair on my head gently with her teeth.

I've always sworn by the Furminator. You do have to be careful not to press down too hard/comb too deeply as it's possible to over-groom and irritate the skin (I had this happen just once when I was trying to make up for slacking about brushing during a particularly fierce molt). Most rabbits are totally cool with it and will let you know if you start to brush too hard. It works wonders on my lionhead, especially, and gets down to the undercoat as well even with her longer fur.

That said, what Aki mentioned about running damp hands over your rabbit... that tends to work very well (granted, it can get a little tedious during a bad molt) with the added bonuses of being 100% safe AND 100% free. I would try that first, before coughing up for something fancier.

Back