A friend for Lupa?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaymas

Reaction score
It's better for bun's to have a companion bun right? We were thinking about getting another lionhead for Lupa but we've only had Lupa for maybe a month now. When is it a good time to get another rabbit and should it be another girl or a boy...or just whoever she gets along with best?

Is Lupa spayed? The recommended scenario would be to let your spayed girl go on some bunny dates with a neutered boy. Rescues are usually willing to work with you if you explain the situation. You don't have to go with a lionhead (though you certainly may). Being the same breed makes no difference as far as bonding goes.

Here is a site I found helpful regarding bonding, though there are many sites out there, all with varying methods.

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

She has been spayed and I think we were planning on taking her back to the humane society where we got her (or at least emailing them lol) and taking her on bunny dates. We just werent sure if its too soon or if we should get another girl or a boy.

And the only reason I said lionhead is because we now have a special place in our hearts for them although I would love a lop of some kind lol :p

I wouldn't rule out girls automatically as you never know who your bunn will take to... but M/F is considered the easiest pairing, so I would focus on male bunns during shelter dates.

kaymas wrote:
Should we wait for a bit before we start looking since we only got her a month ago?
From my experience with BunBunand Booger, a single, lonely rabbit will have much more incentive to bond with you than a rabbit with a bunny companion.

BunBun was much more attentive to me when I was his only companion. It was quite apparent however, that for the sake of his mental health he needed the companionship of another bunny. Rabbits are highly social animals and though I speak Rabbish better than most, I ama poorsubstitute for another bunny.

Unless you just stumble across a rescue rabbit, I would take a few months to bond and train the first bun before getting a second. I trained BunBun and BunBun trained Booger.

I wouldn't write this in stone though. Booger has actually been more attentive than BunBun currently is,now that he has settled in. Being social animals, he could be trying to curry favor with the Keeper Of The Bananas.

I do not think that it matters. I got Shiny Things less than a week after I got Beauty. Both rabbits are doing great. They are not bonded yet since 1 got spayed just under 2 weeks ago and the other might be getting spayed on Friday. When I got them I would let them run around together supervised of course. Both rabbits have bonded to me in different ways. Shiny Things is the boss, is cage aggressive, and is as sweet to me outside the cage as posible. She lets me give her her medicine withought a struggle 2x a day. Beauty is more shy but still comes up for atttention from time to time.

I think that if you are ready for a new bunny then go for it. Just be prepaired to house them seporately incase things do not work out for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Back